Moving a window and building regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently preparing a building regulations application to move one of the exterior walls of our kitchen. This wall currently has an existing double glassed window which is about 12 years old (and matches the rest of the downstairs of the house). As there is nothing obviously wrong with the window I'd like to take it out of the old wall and install it again in the new wall.

However ... how do I then comply with Part L(?) about heat loss? Would BC accept the argument that as it's the old window then I'm not making things anything worse or would they demand to see the U value of the window? If I track down the manufacture would they be able to tell me this from 12 years ago?

Failing this I assume I could get the glazing replaced with glass of known properties. I assume the the frame isn't considered when making these calculations?

Thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Unlikely BC will accept it although you never know if you don't ask however you should just have a word with the inspector for your area, its pointless us umming and arring on here, it will come down to the inspector you get. Or if you don't intend moving for a few years then just do it and forget the regs as long as you don't bodge it too much! :p

Gone are the times when you can re-use existing windows. You'll have to provide a new window of a style to match existing, which complies with the current u-values. The frame is also taken into consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back