Building Regs and New Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're creating a new opening on my gable wall to insert a new window (ie no window currently exists here). The window is in the 1st bedroom area

In terms of building Regs, am I right in saying that the only things I need to ensure are that

1. The top opening is at least 1.7m above the floor finish.

2. The window glazing is obscured as my gable wall faces my neighbours gable wall.

Is there anything else?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Those are nothing to do with building regulations
Really? Doesn't the 1.7m rule come from the Regs?

Would building control have something to say about the windows?

We are building an extension, so they will be involed

Those are planning requirements.

Building regs deal with cill heights, safely glazing, means of escape opening size, structural support above, damp prevention around the frame, size of opening for fire spread externally, distance from boundary.

Sponsored Links
Those are planning requirements.

Building regs deal with cill heights, safely glazing, means of escape opening size, structural support above, damp prevention around the frame, size of opening for fire spread externally, distance from boundary.
Thanks

Can we just make the opening, stick the window in there and done?

Apart from glazing the window and making sure the top opening is at least 1.7m above the floor, should I do anything else?

I'd hate to purchase some expensive windows only to be told that I have to replace them due to some rule I wasn't aware of

You've obviously looked at the planning portal (re the 1700 height) so presumably you've checked that you're not in a conservation area & your pd rights haven't been removed.
Not a job for a window fitter. You need lintel(s), if you have cavity walls you'll need cavity closers, weep vents above the lintels etc.
If your cavity walls have been filled with loose insulation there's that to deal with.
The lintels make it structural (notifiable) work so you'll have to put a notice in to building control.
If window fitters do the job they can self-certify the window under FENSA or the like BUT NOT THE LINTELS.

You've obviously looked at the planning portal (re the 1700 height) so presumably you've checked that you're not in a conservation area & your pd rights haven't been removed.
Not a job for a window fitter. You need lintel(s), if you have cavity walls you'll need cavity closers, weep vents above the lintels etc.
If your cavity walls have been filled with loose insulation there's that to deal with.
The lintels make it structural (notifiable) work so you'll have to put a notice in to building control.
If window fitters do the job they can self-certify the window under FENSA or the like BUT NOT THE LINTELS.
Outstanding. Many thanks.

Don't forget the cavity tray above
It's a solid wall

That's certainly an option.
That's exactly what we'll do.

You'll definitely need a lintel of some fashion, jobs alot simpler with it being a solid wall.

Fensa etc. doesn't come into it as it's a new opening, Fensa only applies to the replacement of existing windows.

You may aswell follow what's in the building regs as it will negate any future issues if it's done the right way, if you don't want to pay for a building regs application is upto you it just means you'd need an indemnity policy if you sold in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back