2 storey side extension planning issue with adjacent property under 14m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope someone can shed a bit of light for me.
I have applied for planning permission to build a 2 storey side extension.
i'm in the corner of a cul de sac and next door neighbour faces the side of my house, not directly but slightly offset.
The planning officer has spoken to my architect and said that as my extension is coming out 3m it will be too close to my neighbours property as there needs to be 14m distance between them. there principal elevation (front of house windows) will face some of my gable wall.
he has said i will only get permission for a single storey as the gap only needs to be 11m but single storey is not worth us building as its upstairs bedroom space we need.
only part of my extension falls within 14m of there property as there house is offset to ours, example if you stood in there lounge window or 1st floor bedroom window then my extension would be over 14m distance away. if you stand in there front doorway or there 3rd bedroom (box room) window the a small corner of my extension would be within 14m Gap would be approx 13m.
due to the fact that only a small portion of my extension would be within 14m and being a dormer style house so the gable end 1st floor section is not massively overpowering does anyone think i would have a chance for appeal or is the 14m rule set in stone if any part is within the distance. my neighbours don't have an issue with the plans and as there house faces the side of ours but is offset there primary view out of most of there windows looks down the road not at my gable. also there my property is north of theirs so there is no issue of depriving them of sunlight.
Thanks in advance, any comments appreciated

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a diagram of the layout.

Isn't the 14/20 metre rule mostly about habital windows facing each other, and therefore can't your architect adjust the submission to not include side facing windows, or using obscure glass?

Sponsored Links
If habitual windows face each other there needs to be a 21m separation distance between buildings, as my proposed new gable wall had no windows in it i'm told min 14m distance between property's. only a small portion of the property's will be within 14m of each other though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back