Side extension next to public highway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one advise what the general rule is building a double storey side extension next to a highway (corner plot property).

How far from the highway does the build have to be?
Does this increase if it is a double storey?

I already have a single storey built, thinking of adding a double storey with gable end at the highway side. Distance from highway to my property will is a min of 2m.

Sponsored Links
You will need PP. All LPAs are different and it will be depend on the situation/locality etc. My advice is consult with LPA local plan and supplementary planning documents/guidance, first of all. There will be hundreds of houses built, two-storey, directly on a highway boundary, so that in itself shouldn't be an issue. There will probably also be extensions built in the same situation - may be worth checking the local authority planning website for these and see what/if any issues were raised? Because one has been built doesn't necessarily mean you can build the same but it does give you a guide and something to work off of.

The 2m from the highway along the side won't be much of an issue, the issue will be how close it is to the junction and if it impairs visibility at that junction.

It will also be worth finding out if there is any mains drains near the highway, we had a mains sewer next to ours and it took a bit of carry on with severn trent to get them to allow us to build, they started out with you can't build within 5m of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back