Front Elevation Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked our local planning office if i would be able to get planning permission to build a two storey extension at the front of my house. I have checked the regs and they say no if it means you will be building forward and closer to the highway. However my house is part of a terrace but sits 2m back from the rest of the terrace so - in theory - i wouldn't be building any closer to the highway than the rest of the terrace already is. Planning dept just said apply n see but dont know if i would be wasting my time. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I understand your situation - it can be hard to know where to turn with these sort of issues.

It's impossible to say without more information but if it's a no goer an architect or architectural technician would tell you right off as they wouldn't string you along. Usually they will give initial advice free so that is your best bet I think.

What are you planning exactly? To extend 1.5m forward say?

They will say 'apply and see' because they want £172 off you for 'seeing'.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of the full 2m up to the terrace line. Its all about the box room. Too small to fit a single in so if they said single storey only that would be no good to me. Can think of better things to do with £172!

The building line is the line of the most forward parts of the terrace. So normally, and properties set back from this can extend to the line without any issues, or at least with a strong argument for approval.

They will take your money and then refuse pp on the grounds it is creating a terracing effect :confused:.

My bad joke aside, character and streetscene could be an issue though.

Can't help wondering why yours was setback? Could there be a reason such as drainage or some other building or environmental reason?

I was thinking if the original design was a setback they might want to see a 0.5m setback retained in your design.

Any chance of a photo atall?

@ fmt.........only occasionally - p.d. is the way to go.......:)

@ footsoldier; you jest not - they would be willing to take his money, knowing full well it would be refused.
Come on - they need to finance the staff Christmas party.

Yes tony - I should never joke about planning :D:eek::cry:.

MJR - you definitely do own the land infront then? Plus there is nothing in the deeds preventing you?

If you could go ahead the PWA cost could potentially be quite high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back