Adding new window, where none currently exist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Property is end of terrace

On the gable wall, there is a shared pathway between me and my neighbour (approx 1m wide)

Along the shared path, I want to add two new windows

1. On the ground floor
2. On the 1st floor

No windows currently exist here.

Can anyone advise on the rules around this please?

I did a bit of reading and am I right in saying that I do not need planning permission as long as the window is similar in appearance, obscure and the window is 1.7m above the floor level?

Sponsored Links
Neither ground- nor first floor window need p.p.
The only condition is that any first floor side-facing window is glazed in obscure glass and top opener min 1.7m above floor level.

Neither ground- nor first floor window need p.p.
The only condition is that any first floor side-facing window is glazed in obscure glass and top opener min 1.7m above floor level.
Thank you.

So the ground floor windows do not need to be glazed?

and the their are no restriction regarding the height of the top opener?

Sponsored Links
As above, it might get draughty with no glass; there is no restriction on the size and position of the opener (unless it needs to be an escape window?).

Building regulations for fire spread at the boundary, as well as the structural work.

Building regulations for fire spread at the boundary, as well as the structural work.
A valid point, but as the adjoinong space is a shared pathway unlikely to be built on, the relevant boundary would be 1m away, which gives the OP 5.6m2 of allowable window area.
And, yes, adequate lintels will be required,
(But OP seemed to be implying concern on possible planning rules rather than Building Regs?)

Might get a bit drafty

When we moved into our house two openings at one end of the kitchen had wooden shutters with no glazing. It was the old dairy and deliberately cold and well-ventilated. I put in normal (glazed) windows. :)

A valid point, but as the adjoinong space is a shared pathway unlikely to be built on, the relevant boundary would be 1m away, which gives the OP 5.6m2 of allowable window area.
And, yes, adequate lintels will be required,
(But OP seemed to be implying concern on possible planning rules rather than Building Regs?)
The shared alley is one metre wide, so 500mm to the boundary, and that is the issue, not the area of openings. In which case, the risk is flame/ hot smoke going out the window and over the boundary ... potentially up the wall and into the neighbouring roof or other route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back