When Does a Side Window Become a Roof Window?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building regs require that for a dormer roof extension with side windows that the windows do not open below 1.7m and have obscured glass. But, a roof window on the side can fully open and be clear.

Just saw this photo:

loft roof wall window.jpg
As it is a slope, does it count as a roof, or a wall? I guess there is a degrees cut-off? Seems like a good way to get a large clear opening window where one would not be allowed - the house I am looking at overlooks nothing on the side - the neighbour's house as no windows on the side, the house borders ours so they have no garden next to us, and they have already had their loft done (house was built as 3 stories), so no reason to add their own windows. Is this a solution?

edit - just found this: http://great-home.co.uk/a-guide-to-roof-construction/
looks like anything below 70 degrees is roof, and above is wall. So a 69 degree roof dormer could have clear opening side windows (subject to planning approval)?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
And forget looking at any websites other than maybe the Planning portal. Many independent websites and even many Local Authority websites are often inaccurate or out of date.

Sponsored Links
A couple of jobs I've been involved in the naughty builders fitted ordinary windows with obscure film on the glass. Then, a couple of months later, when the neighbours are no longer watching every move they make, they peel it off in the dead of night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back