PD for rooflights facing side elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that the addition of a rooflight should not normally need planning permission as it is allowed under PD subject to the following limits and conditions.
  • Any alteration to project no more than 150 millimetres from the existing roof plane.
  • No alteration to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
  • Side facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.

I would like to add a decent sized rooflight to add light to a large loft room, but don't have lots of headroom in the loft (c2.15m to the ceiling) so anticipate being below 170cm. I can't see any/many fixed rooflights available? Can a standard velux be used and then fixed closed somehow? How permanent a fixing is required to comply with planning permnission

Is obscure film ok on the window, or does it have to be obscure glass?

Sponsored Links
A velux is not side facing if it faces the sky.

Film is not permanent neither is screwing an operable window shut.

A velux is not side facing if it faces the sky.
Indeed it faces the sky, but equally the side (the roof pitch happens to be 45 deg!). Does this mean that velux/rooflights are not covered?

Film is not permanent neither is screwing an operable window shut.
The PD rules don't seem to say that it has to be be permanent? However, if one is to follow tight definitions obscure-films are not really obscure-glazed.

If you apply for permission for a side window where a similar criteria would apply, the planners will tend to condition it and state words to the effect of the obscure glazing needs to be glass not a film, and the window needs to be a non-operable type, not just made difficult to open.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks. Best get on the hunt for an obscure glazed fixed rooflight.

I fear that these will not be off-the-shelf which may scupper my plan to install next week!!!

I didn't think this criteria applies to windows on roofs. See if anyone else has any inspectorate decisions or suchlike to clarify.

Otherwise you will need to replace the unit after fitting, as I doubt a manufacturer could supply one that quickly even if it was an option.

I think it is captured here. The punctuation implies that all rooflights in the side elevation, under PD, must be obscure-glazed.

You would have though that would be a significant enough percentage to mean that you could but them off the shelf. [confused]

Class C – other alterations to the roof of a dwellinghouse

Permitted development

C. Any other alteration to the roof of a dwellinghouse.

Development not permitted
C.1 Development is not permitted by Class C if—

(a)permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);
(b)the alteration would protrude more than 0.15 metres beyond the plane of the slope of the original roof when measured from the perpendicular with the external surface of the original roof;
(c)it would result in the highest part of the alteration being higher than the highest part of the original roof; or
(d)it would consist of or include—
(i)the installation, alteration or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe, or
(ii)the installation, alteration or replacement of solar photovoltaics or solar thermal equipment.

Conditions
C.2 Development is permitted by Class C subject to the condition that any window located on a roof slope forming a side elevation of the dwellinghouse must be—

(a)obscure-glazed; and
(b)non-opening unless the parts of the window which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which the window is installed.

@RichA, that's interesting because there are loads of single-storey side extensions with Velux's on the side-facing slope which are glazed in clear glass.

In the absence of being able to put a side-facing window in the side wall (because it may be too close to the side boundary and contravene b/regs Part B),
a rooflight is often the only way of getting some light into that part of the extension. Yet by definition it is in the ceiling, so it's hardly likely to present an overlooking problem to the neighbours.

There seems to be no planning restriction in putting clear glass in side-wall windows on a single-storey extension, so why insist on it for side-facing roof windows? Seems like the legal drafters did not think that one out.

Agreed. Velux told me they don't sell a fixed rooflight. They fix by using screws through frame and sash *which have to be removed & re-inserted during installation.

Their image:
velux.png

If I used an openable velux, screwed shut, and then applied an obscure film what are the chances of the planning team taking me to task...

Agreed. Velux told me they don't sell a fixed rooflight. They fix by using screws through frame and sash *which have to be removed & re-inserted during installation.

Their image:
View attachment 160700

If I used an openable velux, screwed shut, and then applied an obscure film what are the chances of the planning team taking me to task...

I would say pretty well nil. Planning enforcement officers only go round to check on something if someone (eg a neighbour) makes a complaint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back