Using Planning Permission to amend PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having my planning rejected I am falling back on PD, so will be building a 3m rear extension.

However, there are potentially some modifications I would like to make:
i) Add a bay window
ii) gable-to-hip conversion
iii) add 1x rooflight
iv) add 2x dormer window

My understanding is that I can't apply for the alteration until the PD is built. i.e build main structure, then appy for a bay window (exceeds 3m hence application required). Build roof, then apply for rooflights & dormer.

But how built does it need to be? Started? Shell? Main external Structure? Or fully build & signed off?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't. If the "modifications" fall outside of PD and need permission, then it doesn't matter when you apply

"Significantly" completed.

The planners will need to be able to assess the impact. So the "significant" completion will depend on the actual situation there.

Thanks. So would this seem reasonable (i.e. suitable significantly complete)

1. Build exterior walls leaving a hole (suitable for french doors), build roof leaving holes/doubled up joists suitable for dormers & velux.
2. Apply for a bay window, velux & dormer.

Or would I need to close the roof with tiles, then apply, and then re-open roof.

Sponsored Links
I would guess 'sustantially complete' would mean 'habitable', ie with tiles on and doors/windows fixed.

Probably wouldn't include plastering, wiring and plumbing, 2nd fix joinery etc.

Am I missing something here.
You want to build something under PD and then add elements that would require PP, elements that if they were part of the original build would be turned down. If that is so then they will also be turned down when you apply after significant completion.
Otherwise you can apply for permission for the development you want, if it is turned down because of those elements then you can always fall back on your PD. Personally I would apply now rather than having a half built extension sat there waiting for the planning process to unravel.
What were the reasons that your original application was refused. If it was because of the hip to gable, the bay or the dormers then it is unlikely that they will be granted in future

The original planning application (3.8m extension) was refused because the property is in the greenbelt and therefore the council look to restrict increases to a max of 35%. The principal of size/over development in the Greenbelt was the only reason for refusal. There was no objection for dormer, gable-to-hip, etc in principle.

Given that they won't allow a 3m extension (+60%) under planning, I wouldn't get permission for a 3m extension (with a dormer.) Therefore I would have to build out the 3m PD extension, then apply for a dormer.

I would hope they wouldn't now have an issue with the dormer, gable-to-hip, etc but the earlier I can apply the better for the build (as mentioned above part of the build will be on hold with a hole in the roof awaiting for the dormer approval, etc

[NB It is a gable-to-hip (with a slight ridge increase, to match the remaining ridge) but should be a reduction in volume]

right much clearer , but to be honest you really need to ask the question now. It could still be viewed as a single development

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back