Moving and adding radiators - my plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Appreciate any comments you guys can give me with this as I have a clear idea of what I want to do, but need to know if it sounds ok.

My central heating is pumped on a micro-bore system with 7 rads on the system. I've loacted the Flow and returns (22mm) which both have manifolds attached. What I need to do is move the radiator in my lounge to the other side of the wall.

My plan was to simply run new microbore to the new location and connect it all back up again. Went to my local plumbing shop to see if I could still get microbore (I'm a web designer by trade so I'm picking this all up as I go) and he suggested 'Hep20'. Firstly I thought no thanks, I just want to keep it simple and replicate what is already there, but he said he wouldn't use microbore over anything longer than 3-4m. My run will in fact be about 6m approx to its new location. Then the more I thought about I'd like to replace old with modern as I go and have warmed (no pun intended) to the idea.

SO, I was thinking about a new solution: just before the 22mm feed and return pipes enter the mainfolds I have a little room to 'T' into them (the rest of the pipework is under the tiled bathroom floor - nice), run the hep20 to the new location and connect it all up.

This will leave me with a spare feed and return on the original microbore which I was thinking of using for a small radiator on the landing at the top of the stairs as it gets quite cold there.

Lastly, where the new Hep20 feed runs down the wall to its newly located rad, can I then 'T' into this feed and run 2 pipes throgh the external wall and connect a 'tallboy'(?) rad to heat the conservatory?

I was planning on using 15mm hep20. Erm, the pump is a grundfos set on #3, and the boiler is a Potterton Kingfisher, RFL80 I think.

Does this sound plausible or am I heading in the wrong direction? Try to be kind as this is mine and the missus' first place away from the safety of the parents' house where good old Dad always fixes the problems and I'm learning as I go!!

Ta in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with your first thoughts either except for teeing of for another rad so 15 would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back