what would a pro do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current system is all microbore and works very well indeed. However I now want to move a rad from one side of the living room to the other.

The length of pipework required for the new run is approximately 8 metres each way and it needs to feed a double rad with a BTU rating of around 6500btu's. Its pretty much the same size as the rad in the original location which worked fine, but will the increased length of pipework cause a problem? The original pipe run is only about 3-4 metres.

The current pipework is 8mm I think so would using 10mm microbore be better for this new location?

OR, should I tee into the 22mm feed/return before it enters the manifolds and install a single run of 15mm to solely feed this new rad?

To make things more complicated I also want to add a new radiator into the system for my conservatory. This will also be around 8 metres away from the maifold. Can this run be made in microbore or should I feed these two rads together from a 15mm spur from the main 22mm feed/return?

My preference would be for an individual microbore feed per rad as I think its more DIY friendly and doesn't require any joins behind the plasterboard (which is where I'll be runningh my new pipework), but I've heard conflicting views and thus confused.

The system currently has 7 rads on it.

Sponsored Links
If your laying new from the manifold then i'd personally do it in 15mm, i personally hate microbore, it easily gets air locks and can easily kink, 8mm especially. it will save less hasel in the long run

Can anyone else offer their opinion..?

Thanks Wonderboy

Sponsored Links
The microbore will struggle at those distances so far better to do it proper and tee in and run 15mm supply.

I'd go back to the manifold and run it under the floor in 15mm Hep2o barrier pipe.

A professional has a different agenda to a DIYer.

We have to provide something which we know will work properly every time so we would do it in 15 mm.

A DIYer would almost certainly be able to do it with 10 mm run individually from the manifold to the rads. Or alternatively run in 15 mm and then split into 10 mm closer to the rads if that were relevant.

That might need some fiddly balancing and could become unstable if certain rads were closed off. A DIYer could accept that done by himself but might complain to us if we did it!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back