Maincor or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a 22mm feed in loft currently feeding Hep20.
Friend of mine recommended I should use maincor where poss due to better reliable fittings. He has leant me his maincor compress tools.
Thoughts? I'm not familiar with sizes but wanted to pickup from the current 15mm and if so run to maoncor 16mm then I have fun connecting to rad valves? Or do I just stick with my hep20 just that it will all be running across ceiling and stud wall

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Rubbish ... Maincor is very specific and needs specific tools and fittings etc to perform any work on it. That means if any servicing or further work is required then you would need all the expensive tools etc.

HEP/JG/Copper/compression/solder etc are all well defined and reliable plumbing methods as long as they are fitted properly and tested.

The trouble with any of these systems comes down to when they are DIY'ed or pro fitted incorrectly, which is exactly the same with pressfit like Maincor.

Madrab thanks for your thoughts. Unless I am mistaken prepping maincor ie tooling the end face for the connector and putting in the mechanical crimp is a piece of ****? Then pressure test of course.

Easier somewhat than making sure a joint is completely clean and fluxed correctly for solder and then chasing it right. Just a thought?

So back to my original concern then, you say long as I fit hep20 correctly I am doing it by the book so to speak then it's a good as any in the walls I will sleep well at night. Thanks for your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Nope, you're not mistaken at all, it can be easy to use, though like any connection system, if it isn't done correctly, it can fail. The other downside is, as you pointed out, you have to use their fittings and pipe starting @ 16mm which is an odd size as far as standard fittings are concerned. The fittings aren't cheap either, at least a 1/3rd dearer than the most expensive pushfit (HEP) as far as I know.

Soldering is a handy skill to learn and pretty easy once practiced and it's the only connection method in plumbing that once done and tested it can be considered as a single piece of pipe.

As far as HEPO is concerned then yes, as long as it's installed and tested correctly, then it has as much chance as failing as any other (apart from soldering ;))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back