Moving boiler from kitchen to cylinder room

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had people come around to quote for a new boiler recently some have said it is best to keep in the kitchen and some have said it is best to move into the current cylinder cupboard (upstairs, middle of house)

As far as i know the downsides to having a combi into the kitchen is that our current gas pipe is 15mm and they said it would need to be 22mm, and also the fact that they said with a combi they would have to drill the pipes to go through the worktop if we wanted to keep it in the same position where the current boiler is now and that there would be 5 pipes going downwards (something the missus wasnt too keen on)

Installing it into the cylinder room would obviously require more work and hence more £, also with a vertical flue going through the roof (not really too bothered about that)

I also think i remember hearing that if the boiler was upstairs then if i switched the hot water on in the kitchen sink then it might take abit of time for the water to travel back down to the kitchen sink from upstairs?

Just wanted to see if anybody had any experiences where they had any mishaps when moving their boiler to another location? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The water will take no longer to get there than what it does at the moment with your cylinder.

A cylinder always gives better hot water delivery than a combi.

Tony

Have you thought about a replacement heat only boiler in same place as old one, probably the cheapest option

Sponsored Links
Yeah you know what, i haven't actually thought about swapping it for another boiler of the same type to be honest.

Only reason why is because i was sold on the combi idea because at the moment our water pressure is non-existant and the amount of hot water we actually get is fairly low.

e.g. even if you didnt use hot water for a full day, if you tried to fill a bath at 6pm it would still only fill 2/3 of it with hot water and then you have none left, so you couldn't wash the dishes or use anymore hot water until maybe an hour or so later. Unless this is an actual problem with my tank and not the system overall?

Better to pay someone to come and examine your system.

Filling a bath 2/3 full is considered rather extravagant of energy and water.

With my bath 1/3 full if I lie down the water still covers my body!

Why do you want it fuller?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I can see what you mean but i think i wanted to explain it more as in thats is the 'most' amount of hot water i could possibly have within like a 24 hour period. As in if we use any hot water throughout the day (washing up, washing hands, cooking) then basically there is only 1/3 or even less of a bath of hot water, and then to fill it up with cold will only get you 1/2 a bath of warm water.

If i could put it in the simplest of terms, we don't use hot water or water excessively in our household, we wash up once a day, have either 1 bath or a short shower a day and occasionally may use hot water to clean something or used when washing hands in sink.

Now every other house i have lived in, i've never really had to have gone to the point of having to 'plan around' when we can or cant use hot water, not that i expect there to be an unlimited stream of hot water constantly but would like it so that its not really such a big limitation as to when we can and cant use hot water, if that makes any sense? lol

oh in regards to the bath being 2/3 full, there is someone in our house who has a condition which requires a certain liquid to be added to their bath as so for it to cover their entire body (medical reasons, wont get into too much detail) so hence why the bath has to be fairly full for that to happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back