Moving boiler water pipes advice ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am currently converting my garage into a playroom for my Mrs and her childminding kids. To create a doorway to the kitchen I need to raise 2 water pipes, the Feed and return pipes to the boiler. The boiler is an old Potterton Flamingo 50s gas unit which hasnt missed a beat. The system I beleive is a vented system. My intention is to drain the system and raise the pipes as shown in the below diagram. Before I do this I have noticed thet the current pipework is generally heading downwards towards the boiler and is seperated by some distance over the length of the 2.5M wall. I intend to raise these pipes and site them next to each other.

Is my intended change going to effect the flow of the water causing problems or am I being worried over nothing?

Black dotted line indicated existing pipework
Red dotted line indicates intended new position.

image2vt3.jpg

Cheers in advance

Neal :)

Sponsored Links
I thought as much :(

Is there a way of removing the air if it gets trapped and will I continually be battling to get rid of it or will it disapear for good once I have removed it ?

How can I get round this? any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Yep the top one is the only way but it means cutting though a load of bricks, and ripping up floor boards to get to the hot water tank.

Time to call in a plumber me thinks!

Many thanks for your help :)

I would of thought the second option would be OK as one of the existing pipes is above the proposed new door, and would be less work

If the pipes are not right up against ceiling then a thumb screw air vent could be used.

If there is a room above the garage with floorboards then a pipe could be taken up and have a thumb air vent above the ceiling but under the floor.

Tony

I would of thought the second option would be OK as one of the existing pipes is above the proposed new door, and would be less work

It might just work but I have to put in a lintle so both the pipes would be in the way and could get damaged.

If the pipes are not right up against ceiling then a thumb screw air vent could be used.

If there is a room above the garage with floorboards then a pipe could be taken up and have a thumb air vent above the ceiling but under the floor.

Tony

You mean like the ones on a radiator?

Would I have to release the air just the once after installation or would I expect to see a regular build up of air in the pipes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back