Moving combination boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a house, the previous owner has converted a spare room into a larger kitchen than the one he had. Where his old kitchen was he made into a makeshift dining room, the only problem being he left the combination boiler still in place (the dining room and kitchen both come off the living-room) If the door to the dining room is left open the combi - boiler is in full view and is rather ugly. I was wondering two things, is it possible to have the boiler moved to the opposite wall about 6` directly facing where the boiler is now, and would this be expensive to have a heating engineer do? Is it a complicated job to a experienced guy? Thanks in advance for any responses. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the full implications. Would it be reasonable re-direct the following.
The flue pipe to outside from the new position
The gas supply to boiler
The water supply to boiler
The electric supply to boiler
The outgoing hot water to taps
The outgoing water to radiators The return water from radiators.
I'm sure it would be easier to make and fit a kitchen cupboard around it with a false door or why not fit a self closer on the dining room door so you won't see it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MANDATE forgot to mention the incoming water supply, but i would agree for the work involved its going to cost more than the benefits, as for a cupboard you would need to check the boiler manual, as boilers have to have a minimum air space around them.

why not put fridge magnets on it and say is a "contemporay art" :LOL:

I cant say i did consider the full implications, reason being i didnt have a clue as to what these implications were, hence the post. I did consider camouflaging the boiler behind some sort of cabinet but it would have to fit with the decor of the room and as im going to be using it as a dining room it`s still going to be pretty intrusive even behind a cabinet. :)

Sponsored Links
Also forgot the pressure relief pipe which normally goes straight out through the wall.

Some boilers need any cupboard built around them to be ventilated - see the Mfrs Instrs

the other thing is how would the pipes get from where they are to where you want the bolier, upstairs floor up too! (hope its not laminated) and if it has a through the wall flue is the new wall an outside wall?

I estimate it would be £500 - £700 then you have all the inconveiniance of floorboards, then what if the boiler "plays up?" try plan "c"

Breezer!
It s' an airiated 'pepper pot' cupboard I had in mind where the top and bottom has a lot of holes held apart (I nearly said together) with thin pieces of wood that act as spacers.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

my combi sits an an old cupboard but when 2 blokes from bg came round one day (as they do) they spent 1/2 an hour deciding if the boiler is ok in a cupboard the door has "slats" (you know the ones the people used to have on the outside of the house to cover the windows)

any way they fixed the boiler and decided after the debating the boiler needed a big blue sticker so to make them happy i have left the sticker there

They were possibly discussing the regulations regarding vents - minimum and maximum dimensions are specified for the holes. Something like 6mm and 10mm. Even if wrong there is no justification for doing more than pointing it out - it would only be "Not to current standard" (like most installations!)

Thanks to everyone for pointing out all the pitfalls (and expense) involved in my now aborted plan to relocate my combi boiler. Im thinking some well ventilated nice teak wood cabinet would be the best bet. Again thanks for the input guys. As i've a lot of work to do in the new house you will probably be reading a lot more of my posts crying for help, Im not to bad at following a plan of action where do it yourself is concerned...i just need the old grey matter given a kick-start to show me some options sometimes. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back