moving CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a CU in a kitchen base unit. 16mm tails come thru the wall from the cut out which is in a box outside. Got to move the CU to the wall unit directly above where it is at the moment. Is there a maximum distance that it can be moved from the cut out and wot are the rules on protecting the tails. Presently they just run around the units to the CU.If i run them up in the corner should they be in trunking. Im assuming that they cant be buried in the wall even if they are in safe zones i.e the corner. cheers
DSC00122-1.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is nothing in BS7671 requiring special protection for tails but many DNOs have thier own rules over what length of tails they will connection and what if any protection they require.

The way I would do it would bo to install a switch fuse in the meterbox.

Then use the switch fuse to supply a 16.0mm² cable.

This cable can be as long as needs be, and it is fine to flush mount this cable, providing it is in a safe zone.

My cable of preference between the switch fuse and the CU would be split concentric.

ok. why split concentric rather than normal 16mm tails? Can you give me an idea of a suitable switch fuse cz the ones i know of are really expensive

Sponsored Links
a prime example of why you need to fix electrical things to the fabric of the building and not to cabinets..

bear in mind that CU's need to be mounted no more than 1200 above FFL now to comply with part M of the building regs..

and before you all start saying that is only in new builds, I should think that since it's already at low level then moving it up would contravein the requirement since you would be making it less accessible..

if you're moving it anyway, then i'd upgrade it to a new one with breakers and not rewirable fuses..

also you will need to re-route the circuits going to it..

ColJack said:
bear in mind that CU's need to be mounted no more than 1200 above FFL now to comply with part M of the building regs..

Is that specific to consumer units? Not just accessories?
I've yet to see anything in ink that states that a consumer unit should be no more than 1200mm high.

i agree with garymo.
as u can see in the pic the cables come down the
wall so it means just shortening the cables.
Also most CU's are in some kind of cupboard so wot
difference if its a kitchen wall unit?
I can just leave the back panel off and fit it to the wall
Its gonna be changed to a new split load board by the way

it comes under "accessories and switches that require precise hand movement" and general accessability..

as stated in another topic, someones gran had to scale a step ladder the other day to re-set an rcd that tripped because of a blown bulb..

I never said it couldn't be in a cupboard ( but this would hinder access in an emergency having to move all those packets of rice and tins of soup out of the way.. )

it just shouldn't be fixed TO the cupboard..

Well i never said it wud be fixed to the cupboard.
It will be on an independant board inside the cupboard.
In my opinion it is better out of the way rather than low down
where little hands can fiddle. I think its a compromise and
you have to weigh it up.
By the way can anyone recommend a switch fuse and a rough price

the list price is curiously high, but they often come onto Fleabay at good prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back