CU cables running outside in trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just trying to quote for a job.

Customer orginally had a lean to/summerhouse on the side of his house & this is where the cu was. Summerhouse fell down about 5 yrs ago & the electrician repositioned the cu on the other side of the wall in the lounge at skirting level behind the tv.

Customer now wants the CU moved again but into the porch which is about 5-10m away, around a corner & up the wall. Because he never thought about this before decorating the place & laying a soundproof floor (house has basement flat) & damage to decoration is not an option, I proposed extended wiring would run outside along a wall in trunking & then back through the wall into the back of the CU. I know it sounds ugly but potential visitors wouldnt see it unless they went looking. I can replace the tails & main earth.

Does running a whole bunch of CU cables in trunking outside sound ok ?

Sponsored Links
Not ideal, but it doesn't really break any regs.

I'd want to see a switchfuse at the mains, and a submains cable in the trunking, rather than just installing long tails.

Thanks RF

Switchfuse already in place, thats how I can change the tails. Good idea about a submain cable though. ;)

You might also want to check the down rating factors for T&E grouped in trunking, especially if the trunking is south-ish facing.

Sponsored Links
OK, I was thinking of using 100x50mm trunking & there are 7 circuits so they shouldnt be tightly grouped

Does anyone know what the new reference method is for T&E in steel trunking?

Looks like B* but the star means still under consideration in IEC. Table 4A2 is not much help either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back