trunking/conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an electrician round to quote for a replacement consumer unit and to fit some extra sockets in the kitchen. He has stated that the main earth bonding will need to be upgraded ( not a suprise as the installation is quite old) and because the rising main is in the downstairs cloakroom and the CU is in the hall about 5 metres away with a solid floor he proposes to run the earth cable down the outside of the house.

We are also looking at putting the kitchen sockets on a separate ring main from the rest of the downstairs sockets, because of the solid floors the new cable into the kitchen would also have to run down the outside of the house.

The electrician is proposing to use some form of trunking, just wondered if this is the preferred method of running cables outside and if it would be sufficiently weatherproof? Most trunking I have seen looks pretty flimsy to be honest and I thought I would ask what recommendations the experts would make.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i would think your spark is considering PVC conduit, not white plastic minitrunking.
If that is correct, then theres nothing wrong with that, it makes a much neater job for exterior cables. Its commonly available in white or black, might i suggest you ask him to use the same colour as your drainpipes.

If he did use trunking, that is fine. It is used to provide mechanical protection for the cables from things like impact, UV damage and rodent attack etc.

PVC T&E cable is waterproof, so trunking not being water tight is not a problem.

If it's a long horizontal line of trunking get them to zip some clear mastic along the upper length against the brickwork.

It insures that should the wall be weather facing then rain water can't get down the back. With conduit the saddles hold the tube a bit off the wall so it could be argued are better bet should you wish to keep water off the wall.

Trunking has it's advantages with cable access and installation, conduit requires 'fishing' or draw wire placement on installation.

Metal anything must be earthed, plastic doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Hi, is there no way of him doin trunking in corners or rooms etc rather than outside, if he uses MT2 (SA2) and uses decorators caulk on top and bottom of trunking, with a lick of paint you wont know its there.

Just a thought as its not something i would do personnaly but everyones different :D

kewl im jst curiouse as i havn't seen it been installed for a while no expecily in a dwelling?
I cant stand the stuff last time i used it was up arundle castle in west sussex.

I'm stunned

bricks1.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back