4 way extension in trunking

In my opinion, as soon as you fix something to the wall it becomes part of the fixed wiring. If it is left loose it is not.

If I was the sparky, I too would be recommending additional sockets be installed if the kit is to remain stationary where it is. While a sparky woul struggle to justify it with reg numbers, many LAEA's/CC's will have policies in place which mention the use of extension leads fixed or otherwise.

To me, an extension lead fixed to a wall with some dodgy self adhesive trunking, is a nasty method whether it be a school, office, OAP home or home office.

Sponsored Links
If you were carrying out an inspection on fixed wiring would you include an extension lead that was blu tacked to the wall (I have seen this done) or test it during ISI&T

I think the OP could print off the IETs advice on this and have a read through this with his contractor

The IET’s COP ISITEE advises
that the use of standard and
multi-gang extension leads is
for temporary periods and is
not a long term solution. There
should always be sufficient
outlets available to meet th

this

What I am saying is don't sack him for following the IETs advice and guidence. If he is over egging it and you don't like him for that - well you have that power over him. But whether you think it is OTT to have to fit new sockets or not, I happen to think it is. The fact remains in the IET published advice is that above. Not law, but guidance from the people who writ the regs.

In my opinion, as soon as you fix something to the wall it becomes part of the fixed wiring. If it is left loose it is not.
One could obviously debate the question of what constitutes 'fixed wiring' for ever. However, in context, the question is which is 'safer' (in all senses) - an extension cable (and everything connected to it) lying on the floor, or the same attached to a wall or similar?

As for the debate, does (in your opinion) my wall-mounted TV, with it's mains cable (plugged into a socket) clipped to the wall for neatness, constitute part of the 'fixed wiring' of my electrical installation - and, if so (given that it would then involve 'new fixed wiring') should I have notified its installation to LABC?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Just for the record I agree that the extension is safer on the wall and trunked.

I do a fair bit of testing in hotels and a common sight is a wall mounted hairdrier plugged in and trunked up the wall as well as the TV arrangement, also desk fans wall mounted usually hanging off one loose screw

Thanks all for your replies. It's interesting to get the different points of view.

I take on board the advice that it is a fixed install with the same devices plugged in all day every day. i'm happy that I do not appear to be breaking any regs, but also will bear in mind that it is probably best to have dedicated sockets when possible.

The sad thing is, especially in a school, it comes down to cost. A few quid for a 4gang and some trunking (what constitutes as 'dodgy trunking'!) Or the cost of a new socket installation where the price seems to be inflated as it is a school. Add the fact that it is probably the same in 20 class rooms, and you have a major cost. Bearing in mind the 4 ways, are an acceptable alternative.

I'm still not happy in the way my sparky told me It broke a million regs, to get additional job of new sockets.

I'm also not happy with the fact that the same sparky who did some installs for us earlier in the year, trunked data and electrical cables together. Something I discovered today, when running some new data cables.

If you accept it is a fixed installation, (which it is not) a minor works certificate should be issued with the relavent test results.

You might even have to upgrade the main bonds

I think my interpritation of fixed is only limited to the fact it is screwed to the wall. It can be unplugged and removed with no tools at any time. Think I'm just getting confused now!!

If you accept it is a fixed installation, (which it is not) ....
I certainly wouldn't call it part of the fixed wiring, either (no mater how firmly fixed the extension sockets and their cable were), but there certainly are some difficulties in defining what does constitute fixed wiring.

It is tempting to cite the fact that the extension lead is connected by a plug/socket as indicating that it is not part of the fixed wiring, but that would open the floodgates for people to use plug/socket connections to get away with all sorts of things! In my house, I don't think that anyone would suggest that the wiring of my CH system (complex, multizoned) was anything but part of the house's 'fixed wiring'. However, the entire system is powered via a plug/socket, to provide a foolproof method of changing it to a generator-powered supply without using a changeover switch - and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that means the system's wiring is not 'fixed wiring'.

Kind Regards, John.

I agree with you entirely, but others dont, and if they were correct you would be approaching a can of worms with a swiss army knife

I agree with the others that sometimes you just have to apply a bit of nouse.

Taking a very literal interpretation of "fixed" would mean that I often install "fixed" wiring when plonking PCs on people's desks. I don't think it's too hard to differentiate between extension leads/power cords that are "fixed" in place for reasons of aesthetics/safety but can easily be moved (and will next time the office manager changes his mind about the layout) - and the electrical installation that supplies the sockets on the wall.

Many years ago, I went to see a customer about a computer problem. I found the computer at one end of a table with two mains leads (long time ago, HD was separate external unit) like washing lines to the double socket on the wall. At the other end of the table was the printer, with it's mains lead like a washing line to the socket on the wall at the other end of the room. In between, the serial cable was stretched tight. A couple more inches and the connections wouldn't have reached.
This was in a hospital where there was a blanket "no extension leads, no adapters" rule. Instead they had these washing lines (people had to duck underneath them to get to their desk !). To be fair, they were waiting for an electrician to add extra sockets, but even so - a multi-way extension or adapter would have been far less of a hazard.

Conversely, I've had to explain several times to several people at work that ... no, you cannot put two kettles and two toasters on a 4-way in the kitchen. I've removed a couple already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back