4 way extension in trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please.
I work in a school where every classroom has a 4 way extension running from a socket. These were just running on the floor and were a health and safety hazard to all the little kiddies and staff.
So being helpful, I bought some self adhesive surface trunking and mounted the 4 way on the wall and run a length of trunking from the plug to the 4 way part. So all cable was off floor and tidy causing no hazards.
We had an electrician in today who said that you should never run an extension in trunking as it breaks a ‘million’ laws... He then went on to quote for two new double sockets. :confused:
Is this true? The trunking is only being used rather than hammering cable clips in?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ask him to quote the laws you've broken.

AFAICT without seeing it, the only reg is that enclosing the flex in trunking may derate it. Don't have BGB with me though.

Ask the tw@t of an 'electrician' if he thinks you've made the set-up safer or more dangerous under your duty of care ?

Sponsored Links
I am sure you are very good at lots of things.

But the electrician may feel (probably rightly) that you are encroaching on his territory where he has invested the time and money to be trained and to get the contract from the CC/school/whatever to do electrical works.

He also will carry the necessary insurances to cover him in the case of something going wrong with his work. I wonder if you do?

Its not the same. He is not employed by the school or th LA. An independant chap that is sometimes used when needed. All I have done is make the classroom safer. which will always be my priority. I dont think I need any qualifications to stick a bit of trunking to the wall and put a cable in it?

Do I need to get an electrician in every time install a new pc and tidy the wires then?

Although not as neat as new sockets it doesn't sound like it is wrong, can you provide a photo?
What is the 4 way lead supplying?

Havnt got photo at the mo. It has a laptop lead, small socket sized digital amp and a visualiser(document camera) and one free.

Whats funny is the guy has never asked what its used for.

Think you're being a bit harsh.

For all we know, he has got PLI for the work he does.

Like he says, it's only fixing trunking to the wall. There's no electrical work involved.

He does not need an electrician to do this work, and the school can decide whether to install sockets or not.

Do I need to get an electrician in every time install a new pc and tidy the wires then?
That's not the same.

Fixing the socket strip and trunking to the wall and running the cable through the trunking is electrical installation work. By fixing it you have turned it into part of the fixed installation.

It's easy, as in this case, to say "it's a simple enough job", but as soon as you do you're then immediately faced with the question of where, and how, do you draw the line?

But the electrician's reaction was OTT.

I understand where you are coming from, however, my initial question was is this against any regulations, as stated by the electrician. He then immediately wanted to quote for two new double sockets.

My initial thoughts were that he is just trying to pull a fast one and earn a quick buck for a job that might not be needed.

I fit data cables, switches, Interactive Whiteboards, ceiling mounted projectors etc all for the school (all of which I use trunking with!) so am competent to peel off the sticky tape and stick to the wall. ;)

He has been in these classrooms before and never mentioned a thing when the 4 way was just strewn across the floor with cables everywhere.

I also have the responsibility to save the school money where possible, and as long as a simple task like this is not against any regulations, I will. I have never, and never would take on any electrical works within the school. That is what we pay him for.

I also don't won't to continue to use someone who I can't trust to give me sound expert advice and making stuff up so he gets more jobs.

If you tell me that it is not allowed to run an extension lead through a piece of trunking to tidy it up and mount a 4 way on the wall (after all they come with wall mounting holes) then I would happily do something about it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back