Moving Kitchen Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to move an existing socket in the kitchen on a ring main. 1 cable for the ring will reach the new proposed position of the socket, but the other is coming from inaccessible boxing that goes up to the next floor which I do not want to disturb and will not reach the proposed position of socket (therefore needs extending).

1 possible solution I though was to use that existing cable from the boxing into a JB next to some trunking and then from the JB to the new position of socket.

Please see the images to see if this is acceptable.
The grey line indicates existing cable route.
The blue line indicates proposed cable route.
The Brown circle is the proposed position of JB.

The trunking as in the picture is on the other side of plasterboard to the socket.

Sponsored Links
Because it's a kitchen and in Wales you will need to pay the LABC their silly fee under Part P. So they will inspect or at least they should so everything has to be A1 to the regulations. This means measuring the loop impedance and ensuring any new socket is RCD protected looking at the picture it looks like an old house so question one is there already RCD protection on the ring?

If not I would replace the original socket with a RCD FCU then wire any new sockets from that so they will have required RCD protection.

Yes you could fit a junction box to extend cable but the Flintshire LABC has some funny ideas not sure about Denbighshire and Wrexham I had a really big problem getting Flintshire to accept my qualifications when doing a wet room so I would think easier to get a scheme member electrician to do the work.

Do remind him your in Wales not England so the results need forwarding and you need a compliance certificate or completion certificate as well as the insulation or minor works certificate.

Hi,
there is an rccb so am okay in that aspect.
So what I have proposed to do would be acceptable?

Also, am I right in saying a 30a jb would suit this application.
The ring is protected by a 32a breaker

Sponsored Links
You would require to test the RCD is functioning within it's parameters and is 30mA. A joint can be made within a 30A JB, but I would suggest using a method that would secure the cable is gripped within the enclosure as JBs tend not facilitate for this, choc boxes, wago boxes and maintenance free boxes do.

This work would require either an electrical installation cert or a minor works cert and in Wales I believe this is still notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back