Moving Socket in Living Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sisters partner would like to move a socket in their living room.

All sockets on the circuit are part of the Main Ring (No Spurs).

The double socket in question is surface mounted and it's cables are enclosed in mini trunking and is on the wall between the fireplace and a permanently fixed cupboard. My sister wants it moving by the window area, which is near the other side of the cupboard.

I know at least one cable won't reach the new position, so I would say the easiest option here would be to install a 30 Amp JB in the room above in an accessable position, connect the two existing cables two it and run a new length of 2.5mm to the socket in it's new location (which will mean creating a spur0.

The cables supplying the socket are in an accessable corner area in the room above, with enough slack. This room is unoccupied and so a visible but accessable JB in the corner won't be a problem.

The socket in it's current location is also in the way of the new fireplace etc so running a spur to a new socket and leaving the existing one where it is isn't an option (They don't want the socket in that location)

Regards

Sponsored Links
Most DIY guys seem to think it's just a matter of connecting cables. And some times that's correct. However first step is the read off the loop impedance/prospective short circuit current and see if the MCB/Fuse matches the readings with enough leeway for the extra cable involved.

There are two things we look at.
1) Will the cable be overloaded
2) If there is a fault with the protective device open within the proscribed time.

Also of course new sockets have to comply with new regulations where as old sockets only need to comply with regulations valid at the time it was installed. This may mean that RCD protection will need adding.

If you can't do the job correctly due to lack of tools like earth loop impedance testers then one needs to minimise the risk. I would suggest replacing the orignal socket with a RCD FCU then taking a spur from that to the new location will likely mean even if the orignal socket was on the edge of permitted criteria because of the 13A fuse in the RCD FCU the new socket will still comply.

Thanks so far

Also of course new sockets have to comply with new regulations where as old sockets only need to comply with regulations valid at the time it was installed. This may mean that RCD protection will need adding.

The installation is part of a TT system, CU consisting of incomimg 30mA RCD protecting all circuits-including sockets.

The socket is used for supplying a Plasma/LCD TV and DVD player (of course I do understand the issue of having to think of anything else used from the socket in the future though etc).

The socket is in the way as they want to do different thing to the fireplace surrounding etc.

What I really want to know is if a 30A JB in a visible and accessable area would be permitted (to link the two existing ring cables and a new ength of spur cable to the new socket position? (spur cable length approx 4-5M)

Regards

What I really want to know is if a 30A JB in a visible and accessable area would be permitted (to link the two existing ring cables and a new ength of spur cable to the new socket position? (spur cable length approx 4-5M)

Regards
Yes is the answer to your question - though some may question the cable length.
Another option if there is space, is to use a 13 Amp Fused Connection Unit (no RCD needed) instead of a jb and put a couple of double sockets along the new cable to break down the cable length and give you better access to socket power.

Sponsored Links
The double socket in question is surface mounted and it's cables are enclosed in mini trunking
Therefore the cables between it and the sockets each side are accessible, and can be replaced with longer ones - no need for junction boxes and no need for a spur.

The double socket in question is surface mounted and it's cables are enclosed in mini trunking
Therefore the cables between it and the sockets each side are accessible, and can be replaced with longer ones - no need for junction boxes and no need for a spur.

I know at least one cable won't reach the new position, so I would say the easiest option here would be to install a 30 Amp JB in the room above in an accessable position, connect the two existing cables two it and run a new length of 2.5mm to the socket in it's new location (which will mean creating a spur.

Yes - I know that.

And I'm fully prepared to accept that cables in surface mounted trunking wont necessarily reach a different location because they are too short.

My point is that if a cable in surface mounted trunking is too short you can easily replace it.

Thanks again so far

I understand what is been said, however as was said the socket is on the fireplace surrounding next to a permanently fixed cupboard in the corner.

It is wanted near the window area which is right next to the other side of the cupboard.

From the room above both cables can be pulled up but only one will be long enough to reach the new position, the other one goes under the floorboards, probably to another socket on the other side of the room.

Regards

As Ban says, try to replace the short cable entirely.

Or consider having the new one by the window and a new one next to the fire place. You never know an electric fire may be used one day.

Would the following be simple and acceptable, to retain a ring and not create a spur? (DIYer not pro )

Remove existing socket.
Long cable connect to socket at new desired position.
Short cable connect to an accessible junction box in room above.
New cable from junction box to connect to socket.

Possibly even use a socket instead of junction box.

Thanks All

Sorry for taking long to reply.

Just to let everyone know, it went better than I imagined - the length of cable I thought was too short actually came from another direction when the floorboards were lifted above,

There was plenty of length on both cables and the socket was moved to it's new location very easily (and was able to stay part of the ring circuit)

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back