New socket spur, different room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
DIYer here. I've previously added a socket to a room by using a fused spur from an existing socket and burying the cable in the wall horizontally between them. I believe I did a good job there of obeying the rules around where to run the cables and how to complete the install.

I'm now looking to do something similar in a different room. We're moving a partition wall between two rooms to make one room bigger and the other smaller. In doing that, a socket that is currently in the bigger room will end up in the other room.

What I'd like to do is take a fused spur from this socket and put a new socket further along the wall so that it will remain in the room once the all is moved. The spur cable will probably be about 50cm long.

As there are other sockets in the rooms on the same horizontal level, that should indicate the possible existence of cables horizontally where I intend to run mine. I believe that is the correct level of care.

I wondered if any rules come into play about the spur cable running between rooms?
Also, should the fused switch be next to the source socket, or can it be next to the new socket?

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't matter where the socket/spur positions are so long as they're in safe zones.

Sponsored Links
Hi
DIYer here. I've previously added a socket to a room by using a fused spur from an existing socket and burying the cable in the wall horizontally between them. I believe I did a good job there of obeying the rules around where to run the cables and how to complete the install.
To complete the installation correctly, tests of the circuit worked on are required, to confirm that those reading comply with the ones given in BS7671.
Were this tests made and does the circuit have 30mA RCD protection?

I wondered if any rules come into play about the spur cable running between rooms?
Also, should the fused switch be next to the source socket, or can it be next to the new socket?

The reverse side of the wall can only be used to extend the safe zone if the leaf of the wall is 100mm or less.
But the safe zones only apply to electrical cables that are connected to the accessory that is identifying the zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back