Relocating a CU

Sponsored Links
£73.22 for 100m of 6242B LSF 2.5mm² T+E to BS7211... or £41 for 100m of 6242Y 2.5mm² T+E ..

Its normal for any trade to put a mark up on materials, as mentioned, they have to buy it, fetch it, store it, sort invoice etc, but that said, £65 for 100m 2.5 is steep! Even wickes is flogging it around £33 at the mo.

FWIW, i really dislike customers buying stuff like cable/cu/accessory etc. (Only exception is decorative fittings) They will buy the cheapest rubbish possible and then expect the electrician to deal with it. A good spark will give a warranty on his work, he wants to have a good idea that the stuff supplied isn't going to drop to bits in six months.
Although it could happen with any supplier, one of my pet hates is t+e where the sheath is stuck to the cores, a real PIA to strip. At least if i buy it from my preferred supplier, if its crap i just take it straight back, moan at them, get another. No receipts needed, no time spent at the 'customer service/returns desk' talking to a spotty teenager dope filling out credit notes etc

You dont need to see registration paperwork, (i never carry my ID) just ask him for his trading name, then find him on the competent person register.

Have you yet found a sprky who will do something about your inaccessible JB's?
If you have and his price is middle ground, he might be a good choice.

Don't forget that the price to swap is partly about the materials and labour for the swap and adding bonding as required, but the spark should spent some time testing the existing circuits before reconnecting them. Its not just about whats in front of your eyes.

Sponsored Links
I did not make myself clear.
I do not intend running cables etc but just to make running the cables very easy. Instead of hours maybe 1/2 an hour. IE just getting the physical stuff done. IE floorboards / trunking etc.

As for not knowing where things are.... I dont know where all the boxes ( if any ) are in my house... How many people DO ?? know this?

I didnt say I had inaccessable junction boxes, I said I didnt know if I had any! Other than ripping the place to peices there is no way of knowing :confused:

All other comments taken in good faith .. Cheers

I didnt say I had inaccessable junction boxes, I said I didnt know if I had any! Other than ripping the place to peices there is no way of knowing :confused:

Apologies then Gees. I thought from your original post that you had planned to extend using a load of JB's, not just that there just might be some already in existence! :oops:

Apologies then Gees. I thought from your original post that you had planned to extend using a load of JB's, not just that there just might be some already in existence! :oops:

I have found 2 JB's under a loose floorboard in a cupboard. Do these count as inaccessible? If I don't nail the board down.
I have had another guy here just about 1/2 an hour ago and He estimated... £1500 ( a little ott I think ) Again I asked for a breakdown and was given very inflated prices for hardware.
I have decided on who is doing the work but it wont be him!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back