Cable from Meter to CU

Sponsored Links
Good job to find the '²' on your keyboard ... whats the short cut ...

I'm not an electrician, but wouldn't 1.5mm² guard against any voltage drop, if the run of cable from the CU - to say the second floor was a reasonable distance ...

upload_2020-2-4_19-9-29.png

I'm not an electrician, but wouldn't 1.5mm² guard against any voltage drop, if the run of cable from the CU - to say the second floor was a reasonable distance ...
Apart from asking what voltage drop?

Not as much as it might seem.

Editted - I didn't word it well.

Plus - the CPC is still 1mm².

Last edited:

With the low current taken by modern lighting plus the fact that they continue to operate over a very wide voltage range that would not be a problem.

If it was why stop at 1.5, what about 2.5, 4, or 6?

Sponsored Links
No, singles need to be contained in trunking or conduit. A plywood enclosure is not suitable.
Assuming that by 'singles' you actually mean what they are - single insulated wires.
For the benefit of the op - there are single insulated 'singles', which will be of no use to you.

But 'meter tails' or 'tails' are again single cables, but insulated AND sheathed, which may be of use to you if used correctly.

With the low current taken by modern lighting plus the fact that they continue to operate over a very wide voltage range that would not be a problem.

If it was why stop at 1.5, what about 2.5, 4, or 6?
My reply to this in the Taking it away thread.

works² for² me² but I think I find the Ω method easier.

works² for² me² but I think I find the Ω method easier.
Did you type the numbers on your machine's numeric keypad?

As you say, in this forum it's easier to just use the drop-down symbols list, but the ALT-sequences can be used in all sorts of places (like word processors).

Kind Regards, John

Did you type the numbers on your machine's numeric keypad?

As you say, in this forum it's easier to just use the drop-down symbols list, but the ALT-sequences can be used in all sorts of places (like word processors).

Kind Regards, John
They were all done with keypad entry but it feels easier to use the drop down menu, especially as it leaves it on the 'last page'.

They were all done with keypad entry but it feels easier to use the drop down menu, especially as it leaves it on the 'last page'.
Yes, that's a useful and clever (and quite unusual) feature of that drop-down - given that, in any one post I write, it's usual that most of the symbols I use are the same (usually all ² or all Ω).

Kind Regards, John

"With the low current taken by modern lighting plus the fact that they continue to operate over a very wide voltage range that would not be a problem."

Yes all the lighting will be LED, so a very small load.
Trying to wire up a lighting loop using roses - with 1.5mm² requires finger tips made of teflon - I guess 1.0mm² would make that task easier, or put all the loop in/out in the back box behind the light switch.

Now knowing where characters such as 'degrees °' etc etc is very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back