"Moving" current setup - cable type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to move the current setup in my garage - see pictures below - to make more space on the wall and improve the appearance. We are trying to convert this space into a small entry hall/porch - it will be painted as well. I've done some basics like replacing ceiling lights before, but am still quite a novice with respect to electrics, so all advice would be appreciated.

1. On the right hand side there is a two way switch - leave that as it is (perhaps just replace like-for-like for cosmetic reasons)

2. Remove the bottom double socket - not needed anymore

3. Move the fused switch to the right of the other switch (1.)

4. Move the double socket below together with it, so that is is below the two switches. This socket gets it supply via the cable in the white cable trunk, which also needs to be moved along to the right.

5. The black cables lead to a ceiling lamp and another double socket further inside the garage. I'm planning to use white cable instead of the black and put it into a cable trunk where possible, running along the right side of the wall and close to the ceiling instead of on the middle of the wall.

My main question is what type of cable I should use? I can't see anything written on the black one, and I know there are different sizes (1.5, 2.5 etc). The fused switch and the double socket it connects to via the black cable are both 13A. The same type of cable is used to connect the ceiling lamp, and I'm suspecting it is 1.5mm3 because there is this fused switch in between.

I think I only need to replace the black cable, and can get away with shortening any other cables.

Questions:

a) Which cable size do I need for this setup to replace the black cable? Would it be safer just to use 2.5 and will that also work for the ceiling light?

b) I've noticed there are Twin + Earth cables (where Earth is not sheathed), and Flex cables for sale. I would prefer one where I don't have to do the sheathing myself - is it ok to use a white flex cable for this purpose?

Many thanks for your help!

Jennifer

DSCN2627-small.jpg
DSCN2628-small.jpg

Sponsored Links
We are trying to convert this space into a small entry hall/porch - it will be painted as well.
Literally just those blocks painted? Surely not.

Are you going to render and plaster, or use plasterboard, dot'n'dab or on battens?

1. On the right hand side there is a two way switch - leave that as it is (perhaps just replace like-for-like for cosmetic reasons)

2. Remove the bottom double socket - not needed anymore

3. Move the fused switch to the right of the other switch (1.)

4. Move the double socket below together with it, so that is is below the two switches. This socket gets it supply via the cable in the white cable trunk, which also needs to be moved along to the right.

5. The black cables lead to a ceiling lamp and another double socket further inside the garage. I'm planning to use white cable instead of the black and put it into a cable trunk where possible, running along the right side of the wall and close to the ceiling instead of on the middle of the wall.
Right now I, certainly, would prefer a diagram showing what's connected where and how rather than photos, and I expect most other people would.

But basically you've not got a lot there, I don't see why you don't just remove everything and start again, putting sockets and switches where you want rather than thinking you are constrained by what's already there.

And don't use surface trunking - it's naff. Plaster or board over the cables. And that type of block is really soft - easy to sink holes for flush back boxes.

My main question is what type of cable I should use?
Twin and earth.

I think I only need to replace the black cable, and can get away with shortening any other cables.
Remove everything and start again, putting sockets and switches where you want rather than thinking you are constrained by what's already there.

Questions:

a) Which cable size do I need for this setup to replace the black cable? Would it be safer just to use 2.5 and will that also work for the ceiling light?
How is all this supplied? Is it on it's own circuit, or spurred from a socket circuit etc?

b) I've noticed there are Twin + Earth cables (where Earth is not sheathed), and Flex cables for sale. I would prefer one where I don't have to do the sheathing myself - is it ok to use a white flex cable for this purpose?
FHS, what's so hard about slipping a bit of sleeving over an earth conductor? You're going to have to be doing that anyway (well, should be doing that anyway) on the blue conductors in light switch cables unless you buy twin brown.

Use twin and earth.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

@Taylortwocities - Screwfix folks meant well, but I really can't just box everything in. In particular that switch in the middle of the wall has to go...

@ban-all-sheds - thanks for your pointers! A few replies and questions:

1) Re painting/plastering: I was thinking of just using masonry paint on these blocks. I'm trying to get the area to look a little bit better and make room on that wall to actually put some shelves etc on it, but it does not have to look as tidy as a living area.

2) As far as I can see the whole setup is spurred from a socket circuit with fuse. I can try to draw a diagram over the weekend, but as I said I think it is sufficient to just shorten some of the white cables which are already there and then replace the black cable (like-for-like). Just need to find out what type of cable it is...

3) Re cable type: could you explain why you recommend twin and earth over flex cables? What is the advantage?

Thanks!

jnten

Sponsored Links
1) Re painting/plastering: I was thinking of just using masonry paint on these blocks. I'm trying to get the area to look a little bit better and make room on that wall to actually put some shelves etc on it, but it does not have to look as tidy as a living area.
It's no longer going to be a garage (what are you going to do about the up-and-over door, BTW?), it's the first place inside that people will see, and personally I'd not contemplate not lining the walls or having them plastered, concealing all the cables etc. But, your house, your rules, your standards.

2) As far as I can see the whole setup is spurred from a socket circuit with fuse. I can try to draw a diagram over the weekend, but as I said I think it is sufficient to just shorten some of the white cables which are already there and then replace the black cable (like-for-like). Just need to find out what type of cable it is...
If it's all from one FCU then you can have what you like after that. If you want to just shorten cables, go ahead. And you don't need to replace that black cable like for like, you just need to replace it with any suitable cable rated at ≥ 13A when clipped to a wall, i.e. ≥ 1.5mm².

3) Re cable type: could you explain why you recommend twin and earth over flex cables? What is the advantage?
It's what is used.

It's cheaper than flex, it requires fewer supports than flex, from an electricians POV it has more installation methods defined than flex.

It's what is used, and I cannot think of any good reason why you wouldn't want to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back