moving electric meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to have an extension built and we need/want to move the electric meter to the current kitchen, which will become the utility room once the extension is built. Our electrician said the location makes sense as its just on the opposite side of the same wall its on now and would need minimal work, but SSE apparently won't move a meter to a kitchen. Can we dispute this or is it a firm rule?

Sponsored Links
Its a firm rule, some suppliers do move meters, but only upto a certain length and position depending.

The problem is your incoming supply cable, if you want it moving, you might as well get it put outside in a box. You will need to go through your Distribution Network Operator, but you will have to pay.

Thanks, just spoke to them and its a definite NO to any room with running water.

What sort of cost are we talking to get it put in a box outside? The supply comes via overhead cable so shouldn't be any digging required.

Thanks, just spoke to them and its a definite NO to any room with running water.
Interesting. I wish I had a pound for ever meter that is in a room 'with running water'. Mine (in a utility room) certainly is, for a start!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

What sort of cost are we talking to get it put in a box outside? The supply comes via overhead cable so shouldn't be any digging required.

ball park is around £1100, you'll need to get a quote from the DNO.

So what is a probably a clerical assistant or a call handler possibly reading from a script has said this?

Put an application in and wait until someone qualified visits site to look at it in more detail. At the end of the day it should not cost for an accurate estimate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back