moving electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i intend moving my electric oven, however, the existing hard wire cable is nowhere near long enough for the proposed resite, can i extend this cable with some sort of junction or is it a little more complicated than this, the extension would run along the back of the floor units behind the plinth, then up to the oven( eye level as opposed to existing base unit level)
thanks steve

Sponsored Links
If the junction is easily accessible for inspection, test and maintenance you can. What size is the cable and what rating is the fuse/MCB.
Will the circuit have RCD protection, will the work be done by an electrician?

cable is 6mm, not sure how to tell rating of fuse/mcb, is rcd obligatory if not already there, and yes, work will ultimately be carried out by electrician but i simply want to make sure its possible, and to get an idea of the work involved, and to maybe have the cable all in situ, ready for him and to cut out some of the labour cost! :unsure:

The rating of the protective device will be shown on the fuse/MCB at the board.
If it is 6mm I would joint using a junction to the maximum current permitted by the cable. Which would be 47A. So a junction box rated at 47+A.
If cables are to be buried in the wall at a depth of less than 50mm, then RCD protection will be required.
Cables that are buried should be routed in permitted safe zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician, but as I understand it, you should have a cooker/oven isolator switch in the kitchen already?

As long as the oven is not moving more than 1.5 meters away from this isolation switch, why not just change the existing shorter cable with a cable long enough from this isolation switch to the oven? - No need for junction boxes etc.

It is suggested in the On site guide that 2m should be considered the maximum cable length distance between the cooker and the cooker control switch. Not sure where that comes from though.
If you do go down the junction box route then you will need a junction box that can handle two 6mm2 cables which would normally mean one of these monsters.
http://www.aerialshack.com/terminal-junction-p-1852.html?osCsid=1iilg0q89ckv4n7dbg682q48q5
Prety isn't ;)
There are alternative monsters like:
http://www.aerialshack.com/wiska-outdoor-junction-81mm-black-p-1991.html
:eek:

hmm, this is starting to sound like trouble! new cooker site is 3 metres away from existing, forgot to mention that new oven is a double! fuse rating 30a. i have an electrician calling later but am nervous already, the work has to go ahead but i was anticipating a simple extension of cable, its starting to sound like a bigger job!tell me im not going to have to start tearing into walls and floors to facilitate this new oven pleeeeze. :confused: :cry:

as i say, new double oven is to be 3 metres from switch..... is this 2 metre rule a recommendation or 'set in stone' regulation, either way i dont want my house and familys safety compromised, but want the job done with minimum fuss'.
thanks steve

as i say, new double oven is to be 3 metres from switch..... is this 2 metre rule a recommendation or 'set in stone' regulation, either way i dont want my house and familys safety compromised, but want the job done with minimum fuss'.
thanks steve

In that case, why not switch off at the mains, remove the cooker isolator, extend the cable from that point using one of the previously mentioned junction boxes to a point which is within 2 meters of the oven and reinstall the isolator. From here, run more 6mm cable to the back of your oven.

As long as the oven is in the same run, the cabling could be clipped to the wall behind the kitchen units, out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back