Moving Electricity cables and pole

Sponsored Links
Here's a picture of the plan, red lines are the underground electric cables. We are plot 1. Would want to move them to the front. The wooden pole is to the left connecting the houses to the rear (I think!).

upload_2017-4-14_11-13-56.png

red lines are the underground electric cables.
Have you checked that the DNO will be happy with you building over those?

Sorry - forgot you'd said they'd have to be moved too. That won't be a cheap job - has to be done live.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Walk away, the cost could be £30,000 or more, you really cannot tell. And I think your solicitor is incorrect. In fact I more than think it.

There will be other properties that you like that won't have such issues.

I think the two guys above are right, because of what you said:
we need to know this before we exchange in case its a deal breaker.
I don't see how you can find out everything in time. The cost could easily be a deal breaker - all that digging up and extending/jointing/rerouting of underground cables whilst live. Also you talk blithely of moving a pole - do you even know that just that one can be moved? Where would the overhead cables then run? Have you thought about how close they would be to roofs, trees, etc? Would the runs to the other poles be too long? Would permission be needed from the people whose land the cables would then cross? What if people object to it all on the grounds of loss of visual amenity through overhead cables strung about the place?

2) We have to get the neighbours permission to move their cable, what happens if they say no?
You'd be stuffed.

If the house makes no sense without the rear extension then it makes no sense full stop.

I think your solicitor is incorrect.

there is a way leave agreement in place, which according to our solicitors doesn't transfer to new owners

I tend to agree with phatboy; double-check this (and get it in writing).

I'm trying to understand how much would have to move. Are all of the red lines underground wires, or are some of them overhead? Or are there overhead wires that aren't shown? The red lines clearly go to every property, but it's not clear where the incomimg electricity supply is. Maybe all the red lines are underground, and your pole is where the overhead supply arrives? If that is the case, where is the next pole that supplies it?

Here's a picture of the plan, red lines are the underground electric cables. We are plot 1. Would want to move them to the front. The wooden pole is to the left connecting the houses to the rear (I think!).

View attachment 117361

Have you any photos?

If all the red lines are underground cables, where do the overhead lines run? Where's the next pole? Or is it just one pole on its own? Google street view might help.

The development is only 7 years old, but yes there is a way leave agreement in place, which according to our solicitors doesn't transfer to new owners.
Don't these housing developments usually have restrictions around external alterations for ten years or more? Some bloke round my way got taken to court by the developers for extending his driveway contrary to the restrictions from the newbuild. And I would think said restrictions would transfer to a new owner or else why would they bother?

I was talking earlier to an ex-colleague who wanted a supply pole moved so he could have a vehicle access from a back lane to the rear of his terraced house, a few years ago. He couldn't remember the exact price he was quoted, but it was something over £20,000.

He moved house.

And we still don't even know if the poles support LV cables or not. I'm inclined to think quite possibly not, as the houses are supplied underground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back