Remove remnants of old armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Pre-extension, we had this cable coming off the pole in the street and supplying electricity to our property. During the extension, we had a new cable put underground and into the new meter at the front of the house.

This length of the cable is still dangling on the side of the house along with some sort of "fixing" on the wall. How can this fixing be removed without damaging the brickwork please? I assume the cable length will fall with it.

Attachments

• 20200415_124518549_iOS (2).jpg
    20200415_124518549_iOS (2).jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 328
Sponsored Links
I assume that you are certain that the cable is disconnected at both ends?

The cable is just looped over the top of the fixing and secured by the steel strands. It’s a simple job to remove the cable itself. Suggest you do this first.

then you’ll just be left with the securing point to remove. I’ve never done it, but I imagine that 2 minutes up a ladder will reveal a screw or two, if you are lucky they will be in the mortar, not the brick.

I think the insulator bobbin has a bolt thread molded into it, so it will be a matter of removing the cable, then gripping the insulator and rotating it anti-clockwise.

Or, remove the cable and leave the anchor for some, as yet unidentified, future non-electrical garden/house project

Sponsored Links
I assume that you are certain that the cable is disconnected at both ends?

The cable is just looped over the top of the fixing and secured by the steel strands. It’s a simple job to remove the cable itself. Suggest you do this first.

then you’ll just be left with the securing point to remove. I’ve never done it, but I imagine that 2 minutes up a ladder will reveal a screw or two, if you are lucky they will be in the mortar, not the brick.
they shouldnt be in the mortar as that is the weak point

You should be able to unwind the steel support for the cable off it fairly easily.
To remove the one piece insulator from the wall, get a large screwdriver put it through the hole and then undo it, it will have a large screwed thread screwing it into the wall. Might be stiff but will come out. Rough linesmen should of removed it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back