Moving Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am interested in buying a property ... but the entrance to the house is through the side. Am wondering if it would be possible to move the entrance to the front of the house. It is a semi-detached building.
This seems to the only semi-detached house in the neighbourhood, that has entrance on the side. All other houses (semis) have the entrance in the front of the house.

The file current layout shows the floor plan as it exists today and the file planned layout ... shows what we think of doing.

Current.png

Current Layout.png

Planned layout.png

Planned Layout.png

Also, the rule about "No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings." .. does this refer to just the built up area or include the front and rear garden too ?

PS ... any rough estimates on how much the work identified would lighten my wallet ?

Sponsored Links
You can move the front door without planning permission.
The limit for area includes side- and front gardens as well - ie the area of the whole curtilage, minus the footprint of the house plus any out-buildings.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for that ... given that this is a semi and the house attached also has its main door on the side of the their house, would I need to get their permission / approval to move my door to the front ?

Sponsored Links
I can't see the point in making bed 5 bigger, and then making bed 4 smaller. Why not just make the existing bathroom smaller. Everything else looks very sensible.

I can't see the point in making bed 5 bigger, and then making bed 4 smaller. Why not just make the existing bathroom smaller. Everything else looks very sensible.

Nice to have a window in a bathroom....

Have you thought about a sun pipe. It won't give you fresh air, but it'll give you daylight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back