Moving fusebox 1-2m extending cables with connector blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was on a garage conversion and main board had to be moved approx 1-2m, so spark came in and just extended all the cables and reconnecting with connector blocks, need him to do mine and wondered if this was correct

Robert

Sponsored Links
If the joints are accessable then it would be deemed acceptable. However, I as an electrician would never contemplate doing it. I would be looking for a more reliable, permanent joint ie crimped.

Personally I deem that to be a half job. I don't know of a single electrician that would do the job like that. Not a real spark anyway.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply will leave it then till i am next working next to a spark and ask them how they would do it, only reason i was going with him was he was signing off the job for building control and i thought if he was capable to sign off then he must be good.

Thanks again

Robert

If he used terminal strip connectors (aka choc blocks) then they must be inside an enclosure, of some sort.

Sponsored Links
he was signing off the job for building control and i thought if he was capable to sign off then he must be good.
Sadly no.

He could have become registered without ever having to extend cables for a CU move before.

He could have become registered without ever having encountered or been told about anything except connector blocks. Crimps? DIN-rail terminals? ¿Que?

To become a registered electrician the amount of training, and the rigour of the test, that you need for the paper qualification is pitiful.

And the amount of real-world practical experience you need is SFA.

If he used terminal strip connectors (aka choc blocks) then they must be inside an enclosure, of some sort.
Sorry no enclosure just around a dozen or so bits of connector strip for the joins then hidden behind a new plasterboard wall

Robert

then hidden behind a new plasterboard wall
Triple rough - they should be accessible.

Don't let this plonker anywhere near your house. He is not an electrician.

He may think he is, and some money-grubbing registration scheme may be happily agreeing with his delusion, but delusion it remains.

Don't think this is uncommon though.

We had a CU moved a few years back by an electrician (pre-part P I believe) - didn't feel it was something we should do ourselves!

Recently had the floor up and found a variety of "joins", mostly in junction boxes which I think would have been legal at the time, but a couple of lighting circuits had been joined on junction blocks. One junction block just lose, the other had been stuffed inside one of the junction boxes for a socket ring.

If he is registered then he certainly isn't a full on contractor. Probably a domestic installer. But thats another story

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back