Moving fused switches in lounge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to move the two fused switches to another wall in turn burying the cable. (See photo below)

There is one corner separating the two straight walls. There is also a separate single socket.

My question to you is, how do I run the cable horitonally if the single socket is in the way? Would I need to go up to the 150mm safe zone near the ceiling and then across? Or is there something clever I can do with that single socket.

I understand I need RCD protection when burying cables, which I will be getting a spark in to implement.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Byron

The photo is a panoramic view so the image looks a little skew

Sponsored Links
If the spur FCUs are feed by the single socket, you have a number of options.
The cable can run horizontally in the zone created by both socket and FCU on that particular wall (socket zone on socket wall only, FCU zone on FCU wall only, not a combination of both zones if accessories are not on same levels)

Or you could go vertically down/up from each accessory, below floor level.

A combination of both vertical and horizontal zones

Cables can go within the 150mm area provided by the angle of the adjoining walls

Cables routed outside the zones will require at least the following:
Cable buried at a depth greater than 50mm in walls (Part A of building regs permitting that is, this is normally unlikely unless your wall leaf is greater than 300mm in depth)

The use of mechanical protection on the cable

It seems this information has already been offered to you on another post?

Is there something you do not understand or cannot get your head around, regarding the safe installation of cables within walls and partitions?

Sponsored Links
Different room fellas. My previous post is the bedroom. This is the lounge. I want to make sure I'm covering all bases.

Sorry if it looks like I'm spamming, I'm not :)

Its a bit different though.

First of all, I guess its just the two items (FCU and switch) that you need to move, not the socket?

Also I guess that these are the supplies to a storage radiator?

Your first job will be to peek behind the two items and see if you can determine from which direction the supply cables run. You may find that the FCU is spurred from that single socket (!)

Any new cables must run in recognised safe zones
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

The easiest way would be to run extesion cables horizontally (buried in the wall) and put blanking plates over the existing holes. Is that an option?

Otherwise, you may need to reroute the cable from the ceiling, or the floor vertically to the new positions.

Different room fellas. My previous post is the bedroom. This is the lounge. I want to make sure I'm covering all bases.

Same principles though, cables must be routed in the prescribed safe zones, if not buried greater than 50mm within wall (Part A permitting) or mechanically protected.

If you have redundant but still live cables within the wall, they must either be, made safe by permanently disconnecting power to them, cable removed or cable zones identified by an accessory plate.

Its a bit different though.

First of all, I guess its just the two items (FCU and switch) that you need to move, not the socket?

Also I guess that these are the supplies to a storage radiator?

Your first job will be to peek behind the two items and see if you can determine from which direction the supply cables run. You may find that the FCU is spurred from that single socket (!)

Any new cables must run in recognised safe zones
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

The easiest way would be to run extesion cables horizontally (buried in the wall) and put blanking plates over the existing holes. Is that an option?

Otherwise, you may need to reroute the cable from the ceiling, or the floor vertically to the new positions.

Correct, storage heater and convection heater. Well spotted :) I believe the two fused switches are on separate circuits (they have their own fuses in the CU) so doubtful they run off the single socket, but I will have a loot regardless.

I don't mind adding blanking plates, it the single socket that I'm not sure what to do with. I don't want to move it and I'm not sure on then to run the cable through it?

Same principles though, cables must be routed in the prescribed safe zones, if not buried greater than 50mm within wall (Part A permitting) or mechanically protected.

If you have redundant but still live cables within the wall, they must either be, made safe by permanently disconnecting power to them, cable removed or cable zones identified by an accessory plate.

Sure but I want to keep that single socket? So if I can't move that single socket I cannot run horitonally? In that case I have no choice but to go up to the ceiling.

I'm open to suggestions as long as I'm following the correct paths. I want to do it the right way, and if there is no way to run through that socket horitonally then so be it.

I think it would be a positive move, if confirmation of cable routes could be made. This would help making a logical, informed decision on best way forward.

You could blank off both FCU and take a supply feed/feeds from these horizontally though backbox (space permitting), then continue to angle of wall and then horizontally on to new positions.

But it maybe that the existing FCU cables are best removed/replaced or rerouted via floor/ceiling.
A little more investigation is needed.

Correct, storage heater and convection heater. Well spotted :) I believe the two fused switches are on separate circuits (they have their own fuses in the CU) so doubtful they run off the single socket, but I will have a loot regardless.
That is what I was trying to say. the FCU (probably for the convection part of the rad) may well be spurred from the socket, which makes that job easier - unless the socket is spurred from the FCU, which makes the job harder!
In that case an option might then be to move the socket to the FCU position.

The switch is the off peak feed, and that will be a separate feed altogether.

It is easier if you are happy with blank plates, but you'd still have to route cables through the single box to stay within safe zones.
Give us an update when you have investigated the cable routes, then we can give more informed advice. Otherwise its guesswork and supposition, and we don't like that, do we?

Right, on closer inspection both the FCU for the convection heater (not a spur) and socket are off the same circuit (not a spur)

So going with your advice I should be able to.

1. Move single socket to the current FCU position.
2. Take the convection heater feed horitonal to new position from the old single socket position and putting a planking plate in its place.
3. Run the storage heater feed horizontally from current position through the old single socket backplate to the new position, and put blanking plate in place.

How does that sound?

Cheers
Byron

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back