Moving header tanks (vertically, 1m)

Sponsored Links
Your cupboard not gonna be much smaller is it?

About 6" front to back, lets me fit a bed in the gap so it was worth it. And I wanted to learn about some carpentry. I'm quite pleased with the result, first thing like that I've done.

Oh my, so bad I barely even know where to start :-S

You don't need PTFE on the threads of any of your joints, it's not doing anything other than looking terrible

Your tank stands are awful, they should be a complete solid base made of water resistant material and 300mm longer and wider than the base of the tank that is standing on them, and should be fully supported

Your mains pipes on your tanks need isolation valves on them - all float valves must be individually isolatable from the supply

Your open vents shouldn't have valves on them and don't rise high enough above the tanks before they do a 180 to drop down into them (OK, they probably didn't before either, but if you're going to do a job, do it properly)

Your tanks and pipes need insulating

Your overflow needs to be altered so it has a continuous fall or it could freeze in winter and cause a flood when the tank overflows

That'll do for now

You don't need PTFE on the threads of any of your joints, it's not doing anything other than looking terrible

Oh well, not a big cost. I got torn to pieces once for not using it, I can't keep up with these things. When is it useful if not in these circumstances?

Your tank stands are awful, they should be a complete solid base made of water resistant material and 300mm longer and wider than the base of the tank that is standing on them, and should be fully supported

Your mains pipes on your tanks need isolation valves on them - all float valves must be individually isolatable from the supply

Your open vents shouldn't have valves on them and don't rise high enough above the tanks before they do a 180 to drop down into them (OK, they probably didn't before either, but if you're going to do a job, do it properly)

Your overflow needs to be altered so it has a continuous fall or it could freeze in winter and cause a flood when the tank overflows

That'll do for now

Thanks for the tips. Is this one of those things that if I touch it I have to bring it up to 2014 spec instead of merely improving it from its previous state?

Sponsored Links

Oh well, not a big cost. I got torn to pieces once for not using it, I can't keep up with these things. When is it useful if not in these circumstances?

It's for joints that screw into things, not compression joints - the olive you slip over the pipe makes the seal on these, the thread just holds the nut in place that holds the olive in place, it does nothing at all to make a seal

That'll do for now

Thanks for the tips. Is this one of those things that if I touch it I have to bring it up to 2014 spec instead of merely improving it from its previous state?

Pretty much, yes; for the things you've moved at least - the cylinder can stay as it is although it'd save you money if you insulated it

Yea don't worry, I'll insulate the tank. I don't use it currently and the old lagging had turned to dust - filthy for a bedroom setting.

You only need PTFE on threads, where the thread is actually what is forming the seal. In the case of compression fittings, there's an olive in there to make the seal, not the thread.

I realise you've probably had enough flak - but one last thing. When you were doing the cupboard/cylinder area, did you forget to buy any pipe clips?

Not really a lot if anything at all that meets the current regs,
Valves on vent pipes and feed and expansion tank cold feeds are extremely dangerous.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to do it and being proud of what you have achieved but sometimes its better to get it done properly and I feel that's what is going to happen with your install.
I hope what we can't see isn't as bad as what we can.

You only need PTFE on threads, where the thread is actually what is forming the seal. In the case of compression fittings, there's an olive in there to make the seal, not the thread.

ah right, makes sense really.

I realise you've probably had enough flak - but one last thing. When you were doing the cupboard/cylinder area, did you forget to buy any pipe clips?

They're clipped at intervals, how many should there be? There are clips in the attic as well, of course:

Jwrk7zi.jpg

Valves on ... feed and expansion tank cold feeds are extremely dangerous.

Oh right, someone earlier said I should have them there. Why is that a problem? Seems useful to be able to shut them off if I need to do something to the tanks or empty them.

I hope what we can't see isn't as bad as what we can.

Probably much worse.

Oh right, someone earlier said I should have them there. Why is that a problem? Seems useful to be able to shut them off if I need to do something to the tanks or empty them.

It is fine to fit valve on cold feed to cylinder and cold feed to primary heating. No valve is to be fitted to vent from cylinder, and to expansion pipe from primary heating.

If you fit valve on a vent pipe, and turned off both cold feed to cylinder and vent pipe, what happen is as the cylinder heat up, it need to expand and because the valves is turned off, where will the expand water go? Big leaks, fracture pipes, and possible explosion.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back