Moving heat from Log burner / stove around a 1930's semi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a 1930's semi, completely gutting it and putting in a Log Burner.

In my last house, by the end of the night the front room was roasting but the rest were chilly.
So looking at any practical solutions for moving that heat around the house, i.e. heat the bedroom on the cheap for when I hit the sack.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
only safe option is open the door and a low pressure fan aiming down the corridor
otherwise as pointed out on the similar thread you may draw out poisonous gasses

Woodburners are popular in rural France they install vents above the burner and run them directly to rooms above.

Sponsored Links
Interesting.
If you have a stove with external / direct air supply, the a vent to another room could be an idea (such as the bedroom).
I wonder how viable it could be to place one to the side of the chimney in the alcove.
Could open it (remove the plug) to allow heat to raise.
But then close/plug in the night time to stop noise etc.

The most basic idea is a small space in the joists, 1 board wide (shoebox sized)?
With or without fan
An idea or just plan daft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back