Moving home, moving Hive...

Just to update this thread a little...

The house move eventually happened a couple of weeks ago (only took 8 months and 3 days) and so far the Hive system is working perfectly for things like intelligent light bulbs and switchable sockets. BG even kindly sent an e-mail saying that one of the sockets which is no longer needed was 'offline'. So, the Hive hub, bulbs, sockets and door and movement sensors are all working in the new address.

I have another thread running all about the interesting state of the wiring to/from the Horstmann 425 programmer and until that is sorted I can't install the Hive Smart Heating system so can't report on whether that will workor whether BG will send the boys round once it goes live. More anon, Brian

Sponsored Links
Well, here we are, not far off a year later and with Covid having stolen 3 or four months out of our lives. One hopes all of you and yours have come through unscathed.

Eventually, having sorted out the heating system wiring in the house and finally understood the rat's nest of wires crammed in behind the original programmer, I replaced it with a junction box and installed the Hive receiver...and everything works perfectly (within the limitations of the current wiring which does not allow CH without DHW, but that is another project for another day).

So, physically, yes, a Hive system will work perfectly if moved from one property to another.

There is just one teensy, tiny thing to get over before I can give a categorical answer and that is that British Gas do not yet know that the system has moved home. Whether they have some dark force that will stop it all dead in its tracks when we do finally tell them is a question for another day.

Many thanks for all the help and interest in this. Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back