Moving House - Old Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm due to move into a new (to me) house shortly and the electrical installation is out of date and needs replacing anyway.

It's been recommended to me to get a main isolating switch installed by my supplier so the consumer unit can be replaced at my convenience without having to call them out to remove the fuse. I understand some people don't like this due to the added connection etc. but it seems sensible to me so I'll probably go ahead.

The other question I have is surrounding the meter which is one of these:

http://static2.dmcdn.net/static/video/161/809/45908161:jpeg_preview_large.jpg

I note that the meter is only rated to 40A which seems insufficient nowadays, particularly given the installation appears to be protected by a 100A fuse. I probably won't have an electric shower but even my oven and hob can take more than 40A combined so I'm wondering if I should look to get the meter upgraded. Is this required? If so is it something I can just ask of my supplier or how do I go about it?

Any other advice would be appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I was a bit eager to post before I'd finished my questions! :oops:

When I move into the property it will take around 6 weeks to get the supply transferred to my supplier of choice and into my name. Am I likely to have any trouble arranging either the meter replacement or the fitting of an isolator before this time? If so, is there a way around having to wait?

The rating on the meter is not related to it's ability to carry load so don't worry about it (it's more about when it is at it's most accurate)

The rating on the meter is not related to it's ability to carry load so don't worry about it (it's more about when it is at it's most accurate)
Thanks for the reassurance. Does this mean it'll typically over-read or under-read above 40A? :D

Sponsored Links
It varies to be honest, it's an old meter so it mat be due to be changed anyway so no reason for you not to ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back