Moving Meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move my gas and electricity meter, so will probably post a similar question in the plumbing section.

Meters currently live in the garage and I want them relocated about 5m onto the front and side wall of my house, so I can knock down and rebuild/restructure the garage in the future.

I've found out I need to contact the gas/electric supplier to do this, but with so many suppliers are some going to be cheaper than others?

With gas meter relocations I've seen others hint at finding a friendly transco worker works out much cheaper! Is a similar thing possible with relocating electric meters?

Sponsored Links
I assume from your question you mean you want the whole service intake moved, and not just the meter? (sometimes where the service is installed inside the house, people will request that the meter is moved over a little, because its obstructing where they want to install a cupboard, etc), make sure you are clear on the phone that its the electricity service you need moved, or the request might get passed onto the wrong company resulting in additional delays!

The people who will move your service are the DNO, or subcontractors working for them, they have a monopoly as its their cables and no one else can touch them!, this will probably be arranged through the people you pay your bill to, but whoever you are with, its the DNO that do the work. Your DNO varies with whereabouts in the country you are, for example if you are down london way, it'll be EDF, here in lincolnshire its EON/Central networks, etc, theres a map on the wiki

You might be able to find some corrupt DNO jointer who does weekend jobs, or ex dno jointer, etc, etc, but its not really the way you are meant to go about it ;)

Sponsored Links
EDF know where to find their employees and subcontractors, so when you ask EDF to move the service for you they will do the contacting of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back