Mounting Consumer Unit outside within enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently moved to a new house that requires a total refurb.

The gas and electricity meters are currently located in a garage and will be relocated a short distance to an exterior wall for installation within separate suitable enclosures. Application forms have been sent to the DNOs - not looking forward to the quotes.

I am also keen to relocate the distribution board outside within a third suitable enclosure if this is permitted - however am not up to speed with the 17th edition. If so would a regular "meter type" enclosure be OK (e.g. https://www.meterboxes.co.uk/collections/electric-meter-boxes/recessed)? Or might the enclosure need to be metal, IP65, etc?

Thanks very much

PB

Sponsored Links
Would you really want to go outside on a freezing night to reset a circuit breaker that has tripped?

It doesn't bother me. Previous property had the DB in the garage which also meant venturing outside. In the 18 years I lived there I could count on one hand the number of times the breakers tripped. In this new property it's more hassle the DB staying inside to be honest. Cheers

It doesn't bother me. Previous property had the DB in the garage which also meant venturing outside. In the 18 years I lived there I could count on one hand the number of times the breakers tripped. In this new property it's more hassle the DB staying inside to be honest.
Is it just for aesthetic reasons that you want it outside, or some other reason?

One issue you might want to consider is that of 'security'. To avoid the possibility of outsiders (including would-be burglars) 'interfering' with it, you would be advised to have a decent lock on it (something far more secure than the standard meter-cabinet 'lock') - which then could raise the issue of having to find the means of unlocking it in the (admittedly very rare) event of 'an emergency'.

In terms of your question, I can't think of any regulations that would forbid the installation of a CU in an outdoor cabinet, provided that the cabinet provided adequate protection against water and other environmental influences, and that the devices within the CU were rated to operate at the extremes of ambient temperature which might be encountered in such a location.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In many other Countries, including some first world countries like Australia, it is the norm to have the DB in an external box. There don't seem to be reports of would-be intruders turning off the power before breaking in... this only seems to happen in US films! Also any half decent alarm system would have a battery backup.

To address one of Johns concerns - in the event of 'an emergency' would it not be easier to access the DB if it were outside? Rather than having to locate it in a possibly unknown place in a strange building?

In many other Countries, including some first world countries like Australia, it is the norm to have the DB in an external box. There don't seem to be reports of would-be intruders turning off the power before breaking in... this only seems to happen in US films! Also any half decent alarm system would have a battery backup.
Probably all true. It could well be mischievous youngsters, rather than 'intruders', who could be the greater problem - we've heard reports of that being a problem when isolators have been installed in outdoor meter cabinets (something that I think a lot of suppliers won't do).
To address one of Johns concerns - in the event of 'an emergency' would it not be easier to access the DB if it were outside? Rather than having to locate it in a possibly unknown place in a strange building?
I presume you must be talking about third parties (like the emergency services) - since there must be few householders who would regard their home as a 'strange building' or who don't know where their CU is! I was thinking of the householders themselves, and the difficulty they might have in locating the key to an external box.

As for those third parties, in non-domestic buildings it is not uncommon for there to be a "fireman's switch" outside, but for the DBs etc. to be inside.

However, it's obviously all up to the OP - who presumably has some good reason for wanting an outdoor CU.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks guys. I want to relocate the DB outside primarily for reasons of logistics/works programme. Current position is where a doorway will be cut so def has to move - garage will become part of a new kitchen diner. With so much going on and the kitchen/diner design far from being fixed, shifting the electrics out of the way will enable other works to start. Security is a good point, I will ensure the enclosure is secure. House is not currently alarmed however one will be installed in due course.

In terms of your question, I can't think of any regulations that would forbid the installation of a CU in an outdoor cabinet, provided that ... and that the devices within the CU were rated to operate at the extremes of ambient temperature which might be encountered in such a location.
For example, it appears that standard MK MCBs are rated for use in ambient temperatures from -5°C to +40°C. Temps in outdoor cabinets below -5°C are far from impossible, and I suspect that 40°C might well be exceeded at times with sun-exposed cabinet doors.

Corresponding RCDs and RCBOs are rated from -20°C to +40°C. Getting below -20°C is not really an issue in the UK but, again, the +40°C might sometimes be exceeded.

Kind Regards, John

I lived in a flat in Sydney and our CU was outside in a cabinet, I had a look out of professional interest and found a stash of assorted bottles of sherry and brandy, one of the neighbours had a secret drink problem I discovered

Thanks guys. I want to relocate the DB outside primarily for reasons of logistics/works programme.
Don't forget that all of teh cables that go to the existing CU will need to be rerouted, extended, shortened to the new CU position. All cable routes will need to be in the recognised zones. That could be an interesting challenge for your electrician.

Assuming that you could find, in the dark, that funny triangular key that opens the door!
Quite - but, as I said, if it were me I would want a lock much more secure than that funny triangular key (widely available for about 30p!), so it would be some more conventional key that I would have to be hunting for in the dark.

Kind Regards, John

Have an internet enabled lock which can be opened from anywhere in the world via an app on a mobile phone.

Simples.

Have an internet enabled lock which can be opened from anywhere in the world via an app on a mobile phone.

Simples.

Now let me think, an internet enabled lock needs the internet from a router (either wireless or wi-fi). The router need a mains supply. The RCD in the locked box trips and the router loses its mains supply.

um, um, now what?

Now let me think, an internet enabled lock needs the internet from a router (either wireless or wi-fi). The router need a mains supply. The RCD in the locked box trips and the router loses its mains supply. um, um, now what?
Not only that but, even if comms could be arranged, some power would presumably be needed to operate the electronic lock.

However, I'm sure that, knowing what he thinks about controlling things with mobile phone apps, I'm sure that BAS's tongue was very much in his cheek!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back