Lets see if we can get this one right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted on this forum a few times, and have also read many posts.
I would like to see if it is actually possible for this forum to work in its true sense and collectively without being shot down try and determine a suitable design and appropriate method of having an installation done.

I have access to a lot of electricians knowledge at my work, all Part P registered and 17th edition qualified, however i get different answers from different people.

So hopefully i can raise this topic and it can be unravelled so that everyone agrees the design and solution.

I know some of the answers, are not sure of some of the abbreviations, Posts on this forum generally seem to weight into more questions than answers so am keen to try and get this one right.

Will start of with an overview of the works and hopefully posters will then ask questions to enable the design process to begin

overview

My under renovation unoccupied house is mains fed from an adjacent pole, There is a transformer at the pole, and also there is a 25millish earth coming down the pole and into ground, this i believe is a "PME" earthing arrangment, there is a 100amp suppliers fuse, with 25mm tails into meter and into my consumer unit. inside my split consumer unit I presently have numerous spare ways, the reason for this is that i only have lights 3 6a mcb and 2 ring main sockets32a mcb on this the sockets are protected by rcb device

I will post details of the switch rating and rcb soon

Okay so what i first want to do is have another consumer unit (or is it a distribution board, not sure of what seems like conflicting titles for these) in another part of the house, this i believe should be titled a submain, from this submain i want to run the kichen sockets, the kitchen lights, underfloor heating x 3 areas, also from this submain i want to run to an external set of stables to another submain, from this submain i want to
1. Power the stables (5 lights, 2 sockets)
2. Run to a static caravan (8 lights, covector heater, fridge, tv, electric blancket)
3. Run to a tin shed type worktop, 2 lights..2 halogen lights, 1 socket.

As you can see theres a bit going on
Heres some of the preparotry work done so far

1. 16mm SWA 2 core cable from proposed submain position in house to stables submain position, all buried sanded warning taped and were entering premises clipped and with plenty of spare on ends. (28meteres total)
2.10mm overhead 3core from workshop (tin shed) to position of proposed submain in stable, all clipped and with plenty of spare
3.10mm SWA cable from proposed submain in stable to caravan all buried sanded with warning tape.

Ok so to get the ball rolling what information will I need to collate to move forward.

Russell

Sponsored Links
For starters:-

Are you 100% certain you have a PME supply ?

Are you aware of the regulations regarding mobile homes/caravans and PME ?

Are you aware of the factors and precautions needed with regard to agricultural installations ?

Are you aware of the sensitivity of horses to voltages however small and can you design/install to accomodate this ?

How are you going to acheive discrimination between all the sub-mains ?

I have access to a lot of electricians knowledge at my work, all Part P registered and 17th edition qualified, however i get different answers from different people.
Don't you trust any of the electricians at work to know what they are doing?

What will you do if you get yet more different answers here?

And why do you expect them to be different to the ones you got last time you asked?

So hopefully i can raise this topic and it can be unravelled so that everyone agrees the design and solution.
It's your design.

It's your signature on the EIC.

It's your responsibility.

I know some of the answers, are not sure of some of the abbreviations,
Why?

I thought you said it was all so simple?

I come here for humour
Honestly its sooooo simple

troll-spray.gif

This forum is for DIY enquiries for smaller sized or simple electrical work.

What you are proposing is a several substantial new installations in areas which are likely to have a variety of problems, and are far beyond the scope of any DIYer.
The site would have to be seen in person before any design work could be done, and this forum is not a free design service.

There isn't a single correct way for your installations, so inevitably you will get various answers.

Your only realistic option is to find a local electrician and pay them to design the installation for you.
If you are competent you could then install it according to the design, or alternatively find someone to install it for you.

Sponsored Links
I really dont understand the fuss
I have worked with numerous electrical contractors and electricians, I have seen how the job is done and on Many Many occasion pulled sparkies on the quality of the work.
I think the advice that does not get given here is that most installations are 95% infrastructure, if a diyer can get the infrastructure done properly i think you only need an electrician to tie in the ends. or even have a go at that yourself, It really is quite simple stuff.

Supply arrangements.
You say yours comes from a pole with a transformer on it with a 25mm ish earth wire.

Is your property the only one fed from this transformer pole or are there other customers connected?

It could be that the wire you see is the HV steelwork earth and the LV earth is fitted elsewhere.
I assume there is a fuse mounted on that pole as well!

If you are the only customer from this transformer have you talked to the DNO to see what supply capacity you have available, just because there is a modern 100A cut-out does not mean there is a 100A fuse in it which mat effect the protection sizes for the sub-mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back