Mounting Consumer Unit outside within enclosure

If you mean installed within box fitted to exterior wall then No. However I assume you are talking about safety concerns rather than temperature variations/condensation as currently it's located in the garage (as it was in my last property) which is freezing in winter. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I imagine main worries would be centred around security/inconvenience/worries about corrosion/etc. For my build/refurb locating the DB outside is the simpler option - if it was a terrible idea would it not be prohibited in building codes?

OOI, Bucks - have you ever encountered, or heard of, anybody with their CU outside?
Mine is on the outside wall of the house, in an enlosed, covered over veranda area. It is not subject to precipitation, but somehow manages to cope with the variations in temperature.

Sponsored Links
I imagine main worries would be centred around security/inconvenience/worries about corrosion/etc.
Apart from that, not much, then.
What did the Romans ever do for us?

For my build/refurb locating the DB outside is the simpler option
I am struggling to appreciate how.
What if it's raining when due to be fitted or other work carried out?

if it was a terrible idea would it not be prohibited in building codes?
I don't suppose it is prohibited to have a cooker or tv outside, but...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back