moving kitchen to another room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a terraced house where the gallery kitchen is located in a extension to rear of property. can i move this kitchen to the existing lounge, which is at the rear of the property. (its a 2 up 2 down layout~) the stairs are located in this room to - with a door.i wish to locate the cooker on a internal wall ie not extracted to an outside wall. would this need consent too?

Sponsored Links
You will need to obtain Building Regulation approval and also consider the following points:

1) All electrical alterations and new circuits would need to be part P or if done by yourself inspected by Building Control and tested by a qualified Electrician.
2) Drainage
3) Extract ventilation

and most importantly means of escape. If you currently have an open plan layout, you would need escape windows in the bedrooms and heat/smoke detection. Building regs fee would be based on the cost of a contractor carrying the work out (even if DIY), as a rough guess base the application on £5000

1) qualified electrian will beused and issue a cert
2) drainage is only 3 feet from exisiting into sewer
3) ventilation./extraction is my main worry - as the hob would be on an internal wall, so couldnt extract externally. can i use a recirculator hood? do i have to have extraction of kitchen fumes and condensation?

i asked them if i needed to have consent re. fire door and means of escape. it isnt open plan just small 2 up 2 down, the only thing being changed is location of kitchen to adjoing room

If the new kitchen is seperated from the stairwell by a door then you are OK. Extract can be located on an external wall but must achieve 60L/s, in real money this usually means a 9" fan but there are 4" fans on the market that achieve this.
Unfortunately Building Regs will still be required due to the ventilation requirements... :(

Sponsored Links
If the new kitchen is seperated from the stairwell by a door then you are OK. Extract can be located on an external wall but must achieve 60L/s, in real money this usually means a 9" fan but there are 4" fans on the market that achieve this.
Unfortunately Building Regs will still be required due to the ventilation requirements... :(

Extract can be located on an external wall

but..............it isnt:cool:

i have an idea :) - if a hood isnt possible - what about any form of extraction i.e fan on external wall..which would be located approx 10 feet from cooking area.

Hi Juemckool, I've got exactly the same question as you (had). Did you work out what to do about extraction/ventilation in your new kitchen?

I spoke to a Building Control officer who said you need to put in an extraction fan that extracts outside and if it is placed over the hob it has to extract at 30lps and if on an external wall, 60lps. He also thought it was worth speaking to planning about possibly getting permission for this.

I had a read of part H of the Building Regs to see what it said and there isn't actually anything I can find in there that supports what the BC officer said. The only guidance is that extraction shouldn't be any worse than before when replacing a kitchen, and that in new kitchens extraction must be added where there isn't an openable window.

Very confusing, I'd be interested to know what you found in the end.

Thanks

Hi,

We are curerntly doing a big renovation project, and one part of that was to knock downt he wall between the old kitchen and dining room, and move the kitchen into what was the dining room.

When we spoke to BC about this they said there was nothing to notify regarding the move of kitchen, of course they wanted to see the calcs etc for the removal of the wall.

Personally I would contact your BCO and ask them what regs would be involved for moving the kitchen.

As has already been said the main things they might want to see is how you will deal with drainage and ventilation. Escape routes may also be an issue depending on what your lay out it.

Good Luck

As I understand it the ventilation in the new kitchen should be no less compliant than in the old kitchen - i.e. the building is no less compliant after the works - as defined in Regulation 4(3) (2010 regs)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/regulation/4/made

If no 'building work' is required to form the new kitchen (defined in Reg 3) then the works are not controllable however this is a highly unlikely situation.

Hi, I looked a bit more closely at this today and the extraction route is only necessary if:
(a) There are no windows
(b) The opening part of the windows is under around 10% of the floorspace.
See appendix B on Purge Ventilation on this document: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADF_2010.pdf

As a point of interest, the other bit that came out was that as it is a flat the new bedroom needs to be connected to the main hallway rather than open onto the kitchen/living room so that if there is a fire in the kitchen you don't have to go through the kitchen to get out.

Hope this is useful to someone else!
All the best

Hi, I looked a bit more closely at this today and the extraction route is only necessary if:
(a) There are no windows
(b) The opening part of the windows is under around 10% of the floorspace.
See appendix B on Purge Ventilation on this document: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADF_2010.pdf

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion from appendix B of that document, it refers only to purge ventilation not mechanical extraction :eek:

A newly built kitchen requires an extract fan regardless of opening windows if Approved Document F is followed. A relocated kitchen should normally match the ventilation provisions of the original kitchen or a current standard (whichever is less onerous).

Hi TK,
my conclusion is more a summary of my conversation with the BC officer in conjunction with this document.

Basically if the new kitchen has no windows then you do need mechanical extraction, but if there are windows, these may be considered adequate for "purge" ventilation if they match certain minimums, as described in the link.

The 10% ofthe floorspace relates to my situation, sorry, I confused the issue there.

Do you interpret this info differently?

Heya Rusti

The requirement is simply for adequate ventilation, the Approved Document is only one recognised way of achieving that aim so there should be room for negotiation with the BCO whether they like it or not.

I understand that by following the letter of Approved Document F, in the absence of a whole house ventilation system, that background, rapid/purge, and mechanical ventilation should all be provided to a new (not repositioned) kitchen. Appendix B gives minimum standards for rapid/purge ventilation regardless of the requirement for extract ventilation. If purge ventilation cannot be achieved (e.g. no windows) then an alternative method of rapidly changing the air has to be provided, although in kitchens or bathrooms having the (required) extract fan automatically operated with a 15min over-run should be ok.

As said above though AD'F' is only guidance. You could argue that the windows in a particular room are both suitably large and positioned opposite each other to get a good cross flow of air through the room to remove pollutants as quickly as an extract fan. However, your BCO might argue that no-one is going to have the windows wide open in freezing/rain/blizzard/hurricane conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back