Moving kitchen waste outlet to nearby soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently planning to try and sort out my driveway/access. On this side of the house there is an upstairs bathroom which has a soil stack to which the toilet, bath and sink all drain into.

The ground floor kitchen currently has a pipe which leads to a clay gully about 1m away from the soil stack, with the pipe actually passing behind the soil stack. The gully is currently covered with a broken concrete slab and keeps getting blocked with the pebbles the previous occupants covered the driveway with.

My question is, whether I am able to move the kitchen waste pipe and attach it to the soil stack at the ground floor level.

Furthermore if I can do this then the gully would no longer be used and what are the rules about covering this gully in order to try use this space as a driveway etc....

Sponsored Links
if you do connect to the soil pipe, which i would say is probably cast iron you'll need to cap the gully off properly

Soil pipe is UPVC so shouldnt be a problem...

How do I cap off the gully?

Sponsored Links
First post replying to a fellow Sheffielder. :D

I'm assuming it is a clayware gully & pipe here.

The best option is to dig up the gully pot and concrete a brick into the pipe leading from it making sure you concrete the brick in firmly and the concrete is flush to the end of the pipe making it water tight. The hole where the gully pot was can be filled with the same material as the surrounding ground. If the pipe leads direct to a brick/concrete inspection chamber cap off the inlet from the old gully here as well the same way, shaping the concrete to match the concrete 'benching' of the inspection chamber. Before you cap the inspection chamber end make sure nothing connects to the pipe underground before it meets the inspection chamber. To do this flush all w/cs and pour water down all other gullies you can find with the inspection chamber cover off. Don't discount your neighbours drainage either. Obviously don't cap it if something does connect !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back