Moving light switch and light fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To keep the missus happy, I'm currently planning to upgrade our bathroom. Because the bathroom is small and the ceiling is high (and not very good) I'm planning on creating a new ceiling at lower level (metal frame and plasterboard).

Currently the light switch is a pull cord so I was thinking this might be a good opportunity to put a wall mounted light switch on the landing.

I'm basically wanting to know if this is something I am allowed to do myself. It seems like a relatively straight foward thing to do, but you never know with these things.

I assume dropping extra cable down from the current light postion to the lower ceiling will be a straight forward thing to do.

If I'd like to add and extractor fan linked to the light, I assume I'm looking at getting an electritian involved.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately as you will be extending the cables, or even running new in a bathroom the work will be notifiable as part P

There is nothing stopping you doing it yourself, but then you go down the road of notifying the LABC, hiring or buying test equipment to test your work, and the chance that your results will not be accepted by the LABC and they send someone in to do the tests again.

With all that in mind paying a sparks is perhaps the better option, He will do everything and by the sounds of things not costing you a fortune

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back