Moving switch position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got a ceiling mounted pull cord switch for the extractor fan in the bathroom(1st floor).
The light switch is mounted on the wall outside the room.

Id like to move the switch for the fan outside next to the light switch

Assuming i take care of the cable routing, is it just a case of using a maintenance free box to join a length of appropriate cable to the existing cable in the loft for the ceiling mounted switch, then routing the extended length down through the wall to the switch position?

Rather than having two separate wall switches could i have both wired into a 2 gang switch?

Sponsored Links
Depends.

Are both the light and the fan on the same circuit?

Is the pull cord for fan used to trigger it to come on or is it a triple pole isolation switch?

Are both the light and the fan on the same circuit?

When i turn off the lighting circuit power at the consumer unit both the light and the fan have their power cut off.

Is the pull cord for fan used to trigger it to come on or is it a triple pole isolation switch?

The the pull cord manually switches the fan on and off like a regular switch.

However, there is another bathroom connected to the same fan and has the same on/off pull cord switch. Both bathrooms also previously had humidity sensors which automatically triggered the fan to go on but these have been disconnected and we've just been using the pull cords as manual switches

the switch in question (on the right) ,removed sensor on the left.

wiring from both pull cords and both sensors were all joined in a connector block/JB in the loft

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back