Moving mains water supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I recently started a project to convert a very large utility area into a playroom and a smaller utility room. I've had the boiler that was in the new playroom replaced with a combi in a different location. However, behind where the boiler used to be is the stop cock from the main water supply. It rises from the concrete floor through a plastic pipe around 3inch in diameter. There is a flexible pipe rising from the floor, then the stop cock, then the rest is coppper pipe.

If I could move this by about 1 foot, it could be hidden in a corner by boxing over it (with a small access door). I could then plasterboard over the wall where it currently sits and it would be completely flush. At the moment I would have to cut a hole in the plasterboard large enough for the tap to fit through which would ruin the look room (and inneviteably provide temptation for the kids to turn it)

Should I attempt to move the pipe myself? This would mean turning the water supply off from outside the house and digging through some concrete although I don't think I would damage the pipe as it is flexible. The flexible pipe also sits inside a wider plastic pipe for added protection although I don't know if the 2nd pipe goes horizontally aswell as I can only see the vertical section of it.

Has anybody done this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I did exactly what you're suggesting about three months ago - except that I was moving the kitchen to the back of the house from the middle. But I did extend the mains side of the pipe to allow me to box it into a corner and face it off.

It was easy enough to do...turn off mains at street cock (checking your boiler is switched off first), cut into pipe, extend, connect up and that's that.

(I bet somebody tells me I shouldn't have now! Hey ho, it's done:)

Thanks cobweb,

What I actually wanted to do was reposition the stop cock tap by shortening the mains pipe. But I suppose I could actually extend it because it's just the tap that needs to be repositioned.

Removing the pipework would have been a bonus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back