Moving Master socket, doubling up for a day or so

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a house, where the master socket is hidden somewhere in the loft (the old guys geek den), with the actual socket we use downstairs, by a flappy cable.

I want to move the master socket and BT router to under the stairs.
There is a junction box on the wall, I had a look at it and got BT to replace it, as was old.

My question is, can I run a new cable outside, to route into the garage and under the stairs, fit a new master socket, but leave the existing cables wired up for a week or so before I move things under the stairs. Basically doubling so I can take my time doing the job and not have any downtime.
Once moved I will unwire existing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not just do all the required work but not make any final connection to junction box unconnected?

Then on 'switch-over' day all you need do is move equipment and swap over connections into junction box. Thus minimal downtime and no risk to adsl speeds.

Good point, I wasn't thinking straight, I was thinking of limiting time up a ladder, but yep will do in 2 stages :)

Sponsored Links
All done, in one day, Cheers.
The cable I bought online was so thin a misplaced wack with the hammer nearly cut it in two.
Now I just have to fit the RF45's in the house.. Fun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back