Moving mortise lock lower down the door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am having my front door replaced.

The existing door is a panel door and has the mortise lock fitted in the stile adjacent to the centre rail. I am advised that I should avoid this on the new door as this weakens the construction of the door.

The new door is about 40mm too wide but manufacturer advises that 20mm taken off each stile is fine.

This would reduce each stile from 100mm width to 80mm. This should still easily accomadate a 2.5-inch (64mm) Yale 5-lever mortise lock.

Since the existing mortise lock was installed higher up the frame when it is moved the door-frame will need to be made good. A carpenter who priced up the job told me that he would fill the gap with 2-part wood filler which he says is as strong as wood and can then be stained a similar colour as the rest of the door frame.

Is this stuff any good? Wouild it be better to cut a piece of softwood to fit and then just fill the smaller gaps remaining around it?

I would appreciate a prompt reply so I can contact him tonight as he is due to start tomorrow.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
dont see a problem with it and its stronger than the wood.

Just because a material is harder or stronger than wood does not make it more suitable.

Wood will shrink at a different rate to an epoxy two part filler. Eventually it could become loose.
You would be better off pva gluing a snug fitting piece of timber EVERY time.

look at the Chubb 3G220 mortice lock which meets latest British Standard and is narrow

Sponsored Links
as noseall says,
this is what i do everytime,and then if it needs any filling,then add a bit of 2 pack filler but certainly not the whole hole,lol.

As above, timber every time. The majority of fillers (inc 2 part), once stained - look like stained filler and will stand out against the nicely stained timber with its grain. If the frame is to be painted - then you may get away with filler.

The Yale lock you mention is a 68mm case. It'll be a tight fit if you've only 80mm to play with.

Also you've reduced the stiles so be wary of the point of the auger or flat bit coming right through and into the panel when morticing out for the lock

look at the Chubb 3G220 mortice lock which meets latest British Standard and is narrow
and it's still true

very useful for a narrow stile or one that has been cut down

the case is only about 2 inches deep (54mm), and the bolt design has been turned to allow it the 20mm projection when locked

not very cheap but a very solid, good quality lock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back