Door frames and mortise lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every internal door frome has had that lock at some point. One frame must have had 2 at some point. I have 4 solid pine second hand doors that have everything with them already all I need to do is spend time with some help to get them to fit, striped and painted and also hinges cut out in to frames. My question is I have 5 of these to do with 4 solid pine and most likely a brand new one for kitchen.

what do I do, the wife thinks it's easy to get new door frames put in either by me (very limited experience but learning) or a pro. My idea was to fill the gaps as best as I can with wood and fill any gaps filler.

What's best way? Any advice much appreciated.

Ive added photo just incase I got the lock name.rong

Thanks

Attachments

• 20221207_202034.jpg
    20221207_202034.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
What's best way? Any advice much appreciated.
Only you can answer that - pay a pro, or buy the tools and do it yourself? I have to assume you want to have a go and that's why you're posting here. I further assume your wife hasn't done much joinery, hence thinking it's easy!

Start here:

Threads that mention "dutchmen" will contain useful information. I am pretty sure that every question you might have about this has already been asked at least once, and maybe even answered as well.

Repositing the keep plate, fill and sand any resulting gaps. An epoxy filler or car body filler may be best if the lining needs filling on the edges

You don't really want to be ripping out the existing linings or even just one leg, as that will make a right mess for no reason.

If the old frame (lining) is old and scabby, with cuts, chips, and gobbets of old paint, it can be less arduous to remove it and fit new than to make the old one presentable. You can also make the new one square and upright, and foam round it to prevent noise, rattles and draughts, and fit new architrave. If the house is old, however, original features may be highly prized.

New linings are relatively inexpensive.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the best way is a "dutchman" repair - cut away a neat hole and insert a new piece of wood. Sharp chisels, a mallet and a little time. If you have a multitool that can also be useful for cutting away in awkward locations. Piece in with plenty of glue, then fill any cracks and sand.

You don't say whether the old doors all have their lock sets already in place. If they do, and they are good then it'll save you some work. If they don't, remember that many older houses used rim locks, and they are easier to fit! - they are also better suited to e.g. 4 panel doors where otherwise the mortice lock needs to be right where the tenon is....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back