fitting internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have some plain knotty pine internal doors (Wickes) to fit.

The old doors were hung on 4" hinges which were pretty solid and set quite deep into the frame. What is the best way to fit the new 3" (and thinner) hinges? Should I fill over where the old hinge was and then re-chissel a new recess?

Also, the doors state that the handles cannot be fitted on the line of the central rail because this will weaken the door. However I think fitting them anywhere else looks stupid. Anything I can do?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why can't you use the 4" hinges to save altering/repairing the frame.

If you go with the new hinges you can fill the recess of the old one with a two part wood filler that goes off in about 20 mins or so.

There will be a good reason why Wickes recommend that you don't fit the lock set on the middle rail, I would heed their advice. Mount the lock/latch a little higher. I have 6 panel doors here and the lock set is not on the rail area and I don't think it looks odd.

Existing hinges are all manky and caked in old paint.

Yeah I have seen doors with the handles set just above the mid rail, but I always think that the mid rail is made FOR the handles. I know it isnt but it just seems that way to me.

The problem I will encounter is that the bathroom mortice latch is not a tubular latch, thus to avoid the mid rail I need to mount this quite a bit higher.

I was looking for a tubular deadbolt but can only see them in 57mm backset but the doors (and all the other tubular latches) are suited to the standard 45mm backset. Anyone know if you can get them in 45mm?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Existing hinges are all manky and caked in old paint.

Yeah I have seen doors with the handles set just above the mid rail, but I always think that the mid rail is made FOR the handles. I know it isnt but it just seems that way to me.

The problem I will encounter is that the bathroom mortice latch is not a tubular latch, thus to avoid the mid rail I need to mount this quite a bit higher.

I was looking for a tubular deadbolt but can only see them in 57mm backset but the doors (and all the other tubular latches) are suited to the standard 45mm backset. Anyone know if you can get them in 45mm?

Cheers

Buy a new pair of 4" hinges then?
Will save a lot of messing about infilling the old hinge recesses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back